alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial ABU Garcia Cardinal 3, 4, 5, C3, C4, C4X, 5, etc. Tutorial
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
June 18, 2019, 11:35:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ABU Garcia Cardinal 3, 4, 5, C3, C4, C4X, 5, etc. Tutorial  (Read 4127 times)
Flounder Boy 3

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2018, 05:32:13 AM »

Were any of these C3,4,5, and the X models reels made in Sweden or were they all Japanese?

Which came first, the X models or the non-X?

Finally, is there any difference in quality between the X's and non-X's?

Thanks for any info.

Midway Tommy
Tom

Smack dab in the middle of USA - Eastern Nebraska

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2018, 11:24:32 AM »

Were any of these C3,4,5, and the X models reels made in Sweden or were they all Japanese?

Which came first, the X models or the non-X?

Finally, is there any difference in quality between the X's and non-X's?

Thanks for any info.

All of those skirted spool models were made in Japan at the beginning of the transition. The "green line" was the first version, the Cs were the second version. X stands for high speed and they only made it in the 4 after the first version. No difference other than the X retrieves faster. Bass fishermen seem to like the X, but personally, I don't. For a walleye fisherman they can get a fish to the boat a little too fast for my liking. My son used to use one and I couldn't get the motor to neutral, reel in and get the net before he had the fish at the side of the boat. He used it a couple of trips and went back to exclusively using a 4.   

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)
happyhooker

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2018, 12:01:05 PM »

Ran across an ABU Garcia Cardinal on a slightly damaged rod at a garage sale for $1 (yes, a buck).  The reel body itself looks very much like the Cardinal 4 you show, Tommy (green over silver stripe, with "Cardinal 4"; looks like metal).  The spool says "Graphite" and "Ball Bearing" and "C4", as well as "5.1:1" and "High Speed", with line capacities for 8 to 12 lb. test.  Bottom of foot says "84-0". No indication of country of manufacture.  Would I be safe in guessing this is a Cardinal 4, with a C4 spool?  Or...?

Frank
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 04:07:39 PM by happyhooker » Logged
happyhooker

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2018, 12:39:49 PM »

I see on the big auction site that a goodly number of the black Cardinal 4 reels have C4 spools, marked "high speed".

Frank
Midway Tommy
Tom

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2018, 10:12:49 PM »

Frank,

The first version ABU Garcia Cardinal 4 (i.e. "Green Line") spool has a green band with a gold band and black & gold "dental mold" design below the green. It has "C4" in the green & gold bands. The spools are graphite. It sounds like your spool is correct to the reel. The second version (i.e. "C3") spool does not have any green. All those black Japanese fulcrum brake spools, within their individual model sizes, are interchangeable, though. The C3 & C5 in that photo are the second version. The Cardinal 4 is the first version. There were a couple of minor part revisions between the first and second versions but all parts are interchangeable. They are basically the same reel with a different outside color trim/label design.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

happyhooker

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2018, 04:10:56 PM »

Thanks, Tommy, for further enlightening me on these interesting reels!

Frank
happyhooker

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2019, 07:09:45 PM »

Festus suggested a Japanese website to me that has a lot of info on Omori (Ohmori) reels, and if I understood the dialog there, Omori made the Cardinal C series.  Does that match up with what anybody else knows?

Frank
Midway Tommy
Tom

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2019, 07:37:34 PM »

Festus suggested a Japanese website to me that has a lot of info on Omori (Ohmori) reels, and if I understood the dialog there, Omori made the Cardinal C series.  Does that match up with what anybody else knows?

Frank

No, Frank, that is not correct.

It says most Japanese people believe that, but actually Matsuo Kogyo of Nagano, Japan made the Cardinal 700 series, & others including the Mitchell 3500s, and Mizuho of Nagoya Japan made the Cardinal C series.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

happyhooker

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2019, 04:54:01 PM »

Gotcha, Tommy; I double-checked that website; my Japanese hasn't had much use since the local sushi bar closed up.

Gotta thank you again for sharing all your knowledge on these Cardinal fulcrum brakes; they really are some well designed specimens.

Frank
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 04:56:22 PM by happyhooker » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: