Mitchell Reels 1040 and 1060

Started by Cregan, March 05, 2018, 05:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cregan

I posted some questions about these on another board, and it was suggested I ask them over here. I have two Mitchell Big Game Reels, a 1040 and a 1060, that someone gave my Dad as a gift back in the 60s or 70s.  They have never been used and have just sat in the box their whole lives. I was looking to find out more about their capabilities since I thought I might use them as they look like good quality reels. Based on the responses I have gotten so far, i think I may keep them for display or sell them. What do you all think? If I were to sell them, any idea what they would be worth? Thanks in advance.

Tightlines667

Nice complete NIB box sets like thst really do belong in a collection or on a shelf.  The boxes and paperwork will ad significantly to the value, but that is not to say that these are necessarily high priced reels.  The 12/0, the Presidents,and the Gladiators are more desirable reels then these particular models, though these are definitely desirable given the NIB status.

Here is some information regarding these reels, and their closely associated counterparts...

http://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6668&hilit=Mitchell+president

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=14392.0

Tough to say for sure what they are worth, other then what someone is willing to pay for them when/if they are offered for sale.  If I had to hazard a guess, I might say $150-$200 & $200-$250 respectively.  The 1090 might go for $250-$300, and the 1120 might sell for $350-$500 (since it had a short production run).  Even though these are basically non-gold anodized Presidents, the later might sell for 2Xs these numbers.  The reels themselves cost more new, when they were produced then they are worth in today's market (when adjusted for inflation).  They were relatively expensive reels in their day, and parts cost was somewhat unreasonably high.  They never really sold well, and we're discontinued within a few years (though I think of the President, Gladiator, and this series..the 1040&1060 had the longest production runs of the bunch).

Hope that helps?

John

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Carl L

DANG !!!!!   Why do'nt any of my relatives leave this stuff in closets for 40-50 years new in box ???  I would venture the 3-500 dollar range each in the right circles/group... I'm sure you will get offers... Do NOT fish/use them !!  Unless you just have to hehe...

Cregan

Dang, indeed! If someone wanted to make me that offer, I'd gladly part with them. In addition to the reels and boxes, i have both warranry cards, the pictured manul, and one of the tool sets. Thanks.