My most recent save - JVH raised pillar 2:1 Multiplier

Started by sdlehr, March 06, 2018, 09:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

I think I restore reels to keep sane. Or out of jail.... picked up this turn of the century Julius vom Hofe Raised Pillar 2:1 Multiplier with hard rubber side plates. The tail plate had seen better days. I was just the guy to find this reel and restore it. It's funny how these projects don't reveal their success or failure until the very last step.... so I'm calling this one a success and am looking for an 8-prong spider washer and bearing cap for the tail plate...
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

thorhammer

STRIPER LOU

Looks as new! Great work Sid. I work on reels all the time,  .....  unfortunately its done nothing for my sanity! ha.

How's the weather down there and are you doing any fishing? We're suppose to get 12 to 16 inches of snow tomorrow. Cant wait! (right)

...................Lou

Alto Mare

That's a professional repair right there, good job Sid! ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Gfish

Hard rubber. Replacement or repair? If repair howedja do that?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

Sid tells us he is a Veterinarian — however...methinks he moonlights as a dentist!

Great restore, Sid!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

sdlehr

Thanks guys.
Quote from: Gfish on March 06, 2018, 09:40:02 PM
Hard rubber. Replacement or repair? If repair howedja do that?

Repair, and thanks for the compliment. I staged it in three stages using 5-minute epoxy mixed with hard rubber dust.... then a few files, sanding, etc.... If I had replaced it I wouldn't have bothered posting :)  As you're doing a project such as this you don't really know the end result until you get there.... each step brings it closer and closer, but if you try to take it too far you suddenly highlight the difference between the materials instead of blending them together. The trick is knowing when to stop. I stopped with 800-grit on this one. I learned what I know from the ORCA Reel Restoration Manual. And then experience.
Sid Lehr

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

handi2

Very nice Sid,

That reel I was going to send you got picked up by the owner. He decided to keep it.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

sdlehr

Quote from: handi2 on March 07, 2018, 12:07:44 AM
Very nice Sid,

That reel I was going to send you got picked up by the owner. He decided to keep it.
I was wondering what happened to that reel..... I thought it was yours..... I guess you did too, for at least a while....
Sid Lehr

swill88

Beautiful work Sid.
Knowing when to quit when repairing finish is where I run into trouble. You did it as close to perfect as possible.
Steve

sdlehr

Quote from: swill88 on March 07, 2018, 12:21:15 AM
Beautiful work Sid.
Knowing when to quit when repairing finish is where I run into trouble. You did it as close to perfect as possible.
Steve
Yeah, forget perfect. The closer you get the more you see. It's not possible to accomplish an undetectable patch. And that's probably good. My new standard is if you can't see the repair from 2 feet away (less than an arm's length), it's a success. If I ever get better than that, I'll be sure to let you all know...
Sid Lehr

Bill B

:o Looks great Sid.....Good jon on the repair....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!