Finally.... found corrosion X

Started by Reel Beaker, March 08, 2018, 06:40:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel Beaker

After searching for a while, i finally found Corrosion X in a tackle shop. So... what can i use Corrosion X for? Which parts should i apply corrosion X? Is it safe to use corrosion X on my fishing rod guides? This stuff also seem dangerous. In the directions it says to use a glove....

After repeated fishing at the local pier, my spinning reel spool has gotten a few scratches(maybe more than i liked).... I was wondering if there is any way to service/polish the aluminium spool again to make it look like new... Any tips or advice?

Another thing that caught my eye at the tackle shop were out of box reels. Why are these reels out of the box? Too much stock or are they defective reels?

I also found some pre-cut carbonex drag washers that cost a bomb.... like 30 bucks for 3? Is it me or are these really overpriced washers? Also, i have a pretty good idea where they got their drag washers.....

Last but not least, i would like to show you this part which i found during servicing my reel. Should i be overly concerned with this part? Or is it just natural?
https://imgur.com/a/UU5mD

oc1

Once the anodizing is chipped or scratched the aluminum will start to corrode.  Don't try to polish it or you'll just remove more anodizing.  Not much you can do except keep some Corrosion X on it to help repel salt.

You can buy a small sheet of carbontex from the ebay guy in Australia and cut your own washers.  For twenty bucks (shipping included) you will have a life time supply.

What model reel is that?

-steve

Bryan Young

Quote from: Reel Beaker on March 08, 2018, 06:40:12 AM
After searching for a while, i finally found Corrosion X in a tackle shop. So... what can i use Corrosion X for? Which parts should i apply corrosion X? Is it safe to use corrosion X on my fishing rod guides? This stuff also seem dangerous. In the directions it says to use a glove....

After repeated fishing at the local pier, my spinning reel spool has gotten a few scratches(maybe more than i liked).... I was wondering if there is any way to service/polish the aluminium spool again to make it look like new... Any tips or advice?

Another thing that caught my eye at the tackle shop were out of box reels. Why are these reels out of the box? Too much stock or are they defective reels?

I also found some pre-cut carbonex drag washers that cost a bomb.... like 30 bucks for 3? Is it me or are these really overpriced washers? Also, i have a pretty good idea where they got their drag washers.....

Last but not least, i would like to show you this part which i found during servicing my reel. Should i be overly concerned with this part? Or is it just natural?
https://imgur.com/a/UU5mD

Are you sure they are Carbontex washers?  There are several companies making carbon fiber drag washers but there is only one Carbontex. 

Additionally, retailers can sell items for whatever they want or the market demands.  On another note, the parts could have been mis-marked/labeled.  It happens all the time.  We are only human.  Maybe it would be a good idea to ask the store why are the washer so high priced?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Swami805

I think they leave the reels out of the boxes so you can see them, pick them up and check them out. Demos
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Gfish

That part is the oscillating unit for your spool/shaft. Make sure it goes back in so that the spool/shaft moves up and back down when you turn the main gear. Looks right in the picture. Put grease all over it.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Keta

CF washers can be shipped in a regular envelope and people here have forwarded small parts to "other places" in the past.  What CF washers are you looking for?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Reel Beaker

Quote from: oc1 on March 08, 2018, 08:38:47 AM
Once the anodizing is chipped or scratched the aluminum will start to corrode.  Don't try to polish it or you'll just remove more anodizing.  Not much you can do except keep some Corrosion X on it to help repel salt.

You can buy a small sheet of carbontex from the ebay guy in Australia and cut your own washers.  For twenty bucks (shipping included) you will have a life time supply.

What model reel is that?

-steve

the anodizing is the shiny layer on the surface of the reel right? The layer that makes your spool shine in the sunlight? Can brushing your spool with a toothbrush be considered polishing?

I am assuming that you are asking about the model of the reel which i wanted to change the drag washers. It is actually the Okuma Azul 65. Coz the specifications of the reel state that the gears were made of stainless steel, so i kinda figured they could take more punishment and worthy of an upgrade. But after seeing your reply on fixing a scratched/nicked spool, i am contemplating if the reel is still worthy of the upgrade as it is not really in good condition. Yeah.. life is full of disappointments....

By the way, who is this Australian ebay guy you were talking about?

Reel Beaker

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 08, 2018, 12:23:19 PM
Are you sure they are Carbontex washers?  There are several companies making carbon fiber drag washers but there is only one Carbontex. 

Additionally, retailers can sell items for whatever they want or the market demands.  On another note, the parts could have been mis-marked/labeled.  It happens all the time.  We are only human.  Maybe it would be a good idea to ask the store why are the washer so high priced?

Arent carbonex and carbon fiber drag washers the same thing? My guess is that they imported the washers from a certain website... and are reselling to try to get a tidy profit.

Reel Beaker

Quote from: Gfish on March 08, 2018, 02:16:27 PM
That part is the oscillating unit for your spool/shaft. Make sure it goes back in so that the spool/shaft moves up and back down when you turn the main gear. Looks right in the picture. Put grease all over it.

This oscillating unit was actually from a budget reel from a relatively unknown manufacturer in Malaysia. If you look closely, there seem to be some missing material in the middle of the oscillating unit where it seats on the oscillation gear. Not sure if it is due to poor manufacturing or reel usage.

day0ne

Quote from: Reel Beaker on March 08, 2018, 06:40:12 AM

While not to dangerous, per se, it does have some warnings as does any petroleum based product. It is a great product. As for where to use it, it's more like where not to use it. I spray my guides, outside of reels, inside of reels, use it for rust removal. Today I used it on some rusty wheel lugs on my boat trailer. Unlike WD40, it is a lubricant, and a corrosion inhibitor. It forms a bond with metal, providing long lasting protection. Below is the safety data sheet.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4JXOtP3XxetV3N5TUtQd1NhbUU/view
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Reel Beaker

Quote from: day0ne on March 10, 2018, 06:48:07 AM

While not to dangerous, per se, it does have some warnings as doe any petroleum based product. It is a great product. As for where to use it, it's more like where not to use it. I spray my guides, outside of reels, inside of reels, use it for rust removal. Today I used it on some rusty wheel lugs on my boat trailer. Unlike WD40, it is a lubricant, and a corrosion inhibitor. It forms a bond with metal, providing long lasting protection. Below is the safety data sheet.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4JXOtP3XxetV3N5TUtQd1NhbUU/view

You are right. I have been using some of it lately, and it is a good product.