Zebco Omega 940XL & 950L Tutorial

Started by Midway Tommy, March 09, 2018, 06:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midway Tommy

In 1978 Zebco came out with their Omega Series spinning reels. They were made in the USA in Tulsa, OK. The skirted spool models were the 940XL (Light), 950L (Medium) and 970L (Heavy Salt Water). Currently, the only 970L that has been found is in the Zebco factory museum display.

The only differences between these two models are gear ratio, 940XL 5:1 & 950L 4.1:1, and spool size/line capacity, 215 yds 10# vs 215 yds 14#. Disassembly & assembly is the same for both reels. I serviced both and used the 950L for this example. My first step of disassembly is to remove the sideplate, main gear and main shaft. Generally, the rest of the steps are in reverse order of this reassembly discussion. The unpainted metal parts were soaked in lacquer thinner, dried and wire brushed. Painted and plastic parts were cleaned with Original White Goop and washed in Dawn detergent and water.

All the parts cleaned and ready to be assembled.

Before my hands get greasy I install all the parts on the rotor. The bail trip slides into the slot and conical spring, small diameter out, goes over it. The SS plate keeps everything in place. I put a little grease in all the screw holes to help mitigate corrosion.

Install the roller side bail spring & bail arm. I lubricate my bail springs with ArmorAll to resist accumulation of dirt and grime. Install the opposite side bail spring and thread the bail plate onto the bail leaving it parallel with the line of the bail. Install the bail plate onto the spring, rotating (tightening the spring) until it drops into place and tighten the screw w/washer.

Turn the bail in the bail plate lining it up with the bail arm. Adjust the bail bends if it doesn't line up perfectly with the hole in the bail arm without tension. Failure to line up freely is the main reason, other than someone adding grease that gets dirty and stiff, for a slow or weak bail return.

When the bail is adjusted properly, install the teflon bushing, roller guide, washer and nut. The Zebco Omegas have an aluminum oxide roller guide to eliminate wear, and the 900 series have manual bail closing capabilities. Set the rotor aside to install later.

Install the anti-reverse button, arm, spring and bail trip plate. The spring and tension washer slide over the the arm. Slide it through the front slot. Place the tension washer against the body block with the rear of the arm against the button. Install the bail trip plate and make sure the notch in A/R arm moves into both position, on/off, properly.  

Next step is to install the drag mechanism. All the parts are shown in their correct installation order. Zebco says they don't require lubrication but I put a thin coating of Super Lube on both sides of all the washers & housings. I also include a small drop of synthetic oil. Insert the washer, brass fitting and graphite washer into the click housing and install the internal clip to secure them in place. Slide the teflon and SS washers, click arm washer, spring washer and position plate onto the brass fitting behind the click housing.

Insert the drag mechanism into the body with the brass fitting protruding through the hole in the rear of the housing. Screw the drag knob all the way onto the fitting as tight as possible and install the small external clip. The plastic cover snaps into place but I wait to install it until later.

Loosen the drag knob as far as it will go and insert the main shaft. Turn the main shaft to make sure all the drag parts are operating properly.

Lube and install the oscillation gear. Then lube the housing, pinion worm gear and bearing. Insert them and secure with the internal retaining clip. I also add a small drop of synthetic oil to the bearing.

Time to install the rotor. Install the anti-reverse spring into the groove on the back of the rotor. When placing the rotor onto the body make sure that the spring arm positions into the groove on the anti-reverse pivot block on the housing, otherwise the A/R won't work properly. This can be a little tricky. When installed correctly the spring will slip with ease in both directions, but when the A/R is activated the block pops out and puts tension on the spring in the reverse direction, tightening against the housing. When in place install the retaining washer, tighten the nut and bend the flange up on the retaining washer.

Next step is to lube and add the main shaft, oscillation block, shims, where needed, and main gear. This reel had a thin spacer shim on the back side oscillation block. The 940XL didn't need that shim. The oscillation block is held in place with a C-clip on each side.

Time to install the sideplate, handle, opposite side handle dust cover, drag knob cover and spool. The spool, BTW, is aluminum.

The 940XL and 950L completed, looking good and working as they should.

These are decent quality Made in America spinning reels. It is too bad Zebco used alloy main and oscillation gearing. Had they incorporated a SS pinion worm gear and brass or bronze main and oscillation gears they would have been a very high quality reel.    

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gfish

Cool! Those rear drag spinners have always intimidated me to the point where I just oiled 'em in place, insteada trying to disassemble 'em. 
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

festus

Quote from: Gfish on March 09, 2018, 09:08:09 PM
Cool! Those rear drag spinners have always intimidated me to the point where I just oiled 'em in place, insteada trying to disassemble 'em. 
Me too, if they ain't broke, don't fixem. Actually other than a 30 year old Shimano Mark I, I don't have any more rear drag spinners.

philaroman

are the bodies identical: can you swap gear sets (or, swap everything on top) to make a slower, stronger 940?

Midway Tommy

Quote from: philaroman on March 29, 2019, 12:01:26 AM
are the bodies identical: can you swap gear sets (or, swap everything on top) to make a slower, stronger 940?

I didn't pay that much attention. The bodies, handles, etc. are the same. The rotor & spool are a little larger on the 950L. I don't see a purpose in that, though, as there's really not much difference in the two. The 940XL weighs 13.9 oz & the 950L weighs 14.8 oz., i.e. less than an ounce, and that would be in the rotor & spool. 

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

philaroman

you've mentioned you don't use braid -- that's where I was going...  not the weight

many minute reasons (that add up) why the smaller stronger swap victim would be more braid-appropriate, while the bigger faster FrankenZebco wouldn't be significantly diminished for mono

mo65

Hey Tommy,
   I noticed all the Omegas for sale on eBay have no opposite side handle dust cover. Is that normal? Do they break easily or something?
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

happyhooker

Thanks, Tommy, for putting this together.  A good, interesting read.

Frank

Midway Tommy

Thanks, Frank.

Quote from: mo65 on April 24, 2019, 05:14:13 PM
Hey Tommy,
  I noticed all the Omegas for sale on eBay have no opposite side handle dust cover. Is that normal? Do they break easily or something?

Yep, and finding a replacement is near impossible. Some of the earlier ones like this 840L had a plastic threaded stem and the stem would break off. I think they must have switched to a metal threaded insert in their later reels because I have 2 940XLs, one stem is plastic & the other is metal.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Catching Nemo

Just picked up one of these reels.  This tutorial will come in handy!  Thanks Tommy.

Question: what is the purpose/function of the plastic black cap and dial (at the top of the spool)?  There are markings for line weight and line capacity on the cap, and the dial can be turned to align with any of the markings, but I'm not sure what happens (if anything) with the reel function by turning the dial.

Midway Tommy

The only purposes for that disc is to secure the spool retainer and designate the type of line you installed and set it to. The disc is held in place by friction at the center. It easily pops out, you can lift it out with your fingernails. The retainer has some dimples and the disc has a little plastic titty that rests in the dimples. When the tit wears down the disc will turn around freely without stopping in a dimple. Even if the tit is worn the disc will not fall out unless the plastic friction pieces in the center wear out. If you pop that disc off you'll see what I'm talking about.

Wrote this response a couple of times earlier today but got knocked off without it posting.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE