"sealing" a penn spinfisher v

Started by mark d, March 11, 2018, 09:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark d

don't know if this will be of any use to others but.....i asked on another site what is the most badass grease to "seal" a surf reel with and a gentlemen came back with "aquashield". so i gave it a try. it is like bubble gum. a real pain in the #### to work with. i used it to on all the entry points but especially the pinion area as that is not sealed and where my water ingress is. when finished reel was too "sticky". I figured it was the spool shaft so i pulled it, added penn oil to the surface of the aquashield on the shaft and it was fine after that. this used to be my go to reel so i know exactly how much it leaks in given conditions. i fished it for 2 1/2 days in heavy surf and popped the side plate every evening. i was shocked to see zero water ingress when normally it would have been approximately a 1/2 teaspoon per day.

bhale1

Mark,
That's good to know. Sort of along the line of what one of our members (johndtuttle) recommends on the New Daiwa BG series of reels. Awesome reel for the price, but lack of sealing around the spool shaft could let saltwater in. I've been using Penn blue, might have to try your suggestion. Thanks
Brett

mark d

yes, penn blue was what i had been using also. i will look for john's post on the bg. thks