Clicker 704z

Started by Scattergun2570, March 12, 2018, 02:21:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scattergun2570

I have been told you can stop the annoying clicking when reeling the 704&706z reels...how is this done?

Alto Mare

Quote from: Scattergun2570 on March 12, 2018, 02:21:09 AM
I have been told you can stop the annoying clicking when reeling the 704&706z reels...how is this done?
I would think by removing it all together, but will need something else or the handle won't stop.
I heard of some on SOL installing a anti-reverse bearing, but I'm sure the housing would need customizing.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Midway Tommy

I have never done either of these because the A/R click really doesn't bother me that much and I generally only have it on while bringing in a fish, otherwise I have it disengaged. I have heard of people weakening the dog spring or adapting smaller diameter wire (weaker spring), or filing (slightly tapering the leading corner of the dog) so that there is less pressure against the ratchet gears when they are passing each other. It doesn't eliminate the click but it makes the sound a little weaker and still engages the A/R when the handle turns back. On smaller reels, where strength isn't as important, I've even seen some guys make a nylon dog to quiet things down. I wouldn't do that, though, because, like I said, it doesn't bother me. The metal dog can also be plastic coated to reduce the sound but I have no idea how long that would last under hard use or conditions.  
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

handi2

Where the main gear passes thru the body a one way bearing is installed. The body has to be machined out in that area to accept the bearing. I have one that was done by Rick Champagne and he can be found on the Stripers forum. He lives in the FL Panhandle.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL