Advice, Reel options for fishing 1800ft deep (Black Cod)

Started by TongassFisher, March 15, 2018, 05:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MexicanGulf

hi friends, could you help me figure out which fishing reel has less problems using this drill accessory? where can I buy a reel crankie, it seems to have disappeared from all the fishing shops.

conchydong

Vintage Offshore Tackle

MexicanGulf

Wompus Cat

Looks like a home made universal socket out of my tool box.
Don't see why one could;t whip one up in a little while using a Snap On universal joint or  socket  for a lot less than 234 bux.
Sumpin to do in spare time
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Keta

I would use either a Daiwa Tanacom Bull 1000Fe or Marine Power MP3000.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MexicanGulf

I would like to do daytime swordfishing with a conventional reel! I would like to understand which reel offers good mechanics not to give many problems with the drill system ... and I would like to understand where I can buy an accessory that allows me to connect the drill to the fishing reel.

Wompus Cat

Here is one of the Reels  LIKEthe poster above you suggests and a video of it

CLICK HERE

As far as buying and apparatus to hook up to a Drill Motor I can not find any .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

conchydong

Quote from: MexicanGulf on January 17, 2022, 12:53:19 PM
I would like to do daytime swordfishing with a conventional reel! I would like to understand which reel offers good mechanics not to give many problems with the drill system ... and I would like to understand where I can buy an accessory that allows me to connect the drill to the fishing reel.

The electric reels mentioned won't hold up long term swordfishing. Yes you can land one but they really aren't made for it.  Look for Penn Internationals 70s or 80s or Tiagra 80's and get the correct reel crankie for it. The link for custom rod and gun in lighthouse point fl that I sent you was down. Google reel crankie and give Tom a direct call. If you are serious about swordfishing and have the $$ go ahead and get a LP1200.

alantani

just from the description, i would absolutely go with a daiwa tanacom 1000 electric.  you would be looking at 900 yards of 65 pound braid.  i'm guessing that would be 700 yards of 80 pound braid. 

from what you say about deep water swords, i would definitely go with a downrigger, but i would defer to someone that has actually done this kind of fishing, not someone like me that is just guessing.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Donnyboat

The minimum reel, I would us is a Diawa 1000 electric, maybe 16 strand braid from fishing corner, 110 Lbs @ diameter 0.040, would give you enough line.
     Sorry Alan, if your going to use a rig with 2 or 3 sets of hooks on it I dout if 65 Lbs would be strong enough, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

MexicanGulf

first of all thank you friends for being interested in my requests. I intend to drop my lures to about 1600 feet using only a conventional fishing reel. My choice should fall on one of the following models:
Avet Ex 30; Shimano Talica 50; Okuma Makaira 30; Penn 30 Vsx.
I would like to understand mechanically which of these fishing reels is the most robust. I am aware of the problem of working with a drill ... the vibrations and the excessive effort logarano the reel. another primordial aspect of mine is to find an accessory that allows me to connect the drill to the reel, such as a REEL CRANKIE or SPEEDY CRANK ... on the market they seem to have disappeared.

alantani

Quote from: Donnyboat on January 17, 2022, 06:48:01 PM
I doubt if 65 Lbs would be strong enough, cheers Don.

absolutely agreed!  i would definitely go with 80 pound braid. 

alantani

i have two sore rotator cuffs.  both shoulders would fail if i had to crank 1600 feet!!!! ;D

MexicanGulf

it is a fascinating fishing that pays off all the efforts. There is the drill system to avoid getting tired. mechanically which fishing reel do you recommend? the best mechanics?