Lefty Kreh, Fly Fisherman extraordinar, dead at age 93

Started by El Pescador, March 18, 2018, 06:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

Lefty Kreh, Fly Fisherman extraordinar, has died at the age of 93.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/outdoors/bs-sp-obit-lefty-kreh-20171113-story.html

My first experience of fly fishing was when I was 14 years old, July 1969, on the banks of the Rubicon River, a tributary of the Middle Fork of the American River.  As enjoyable as the day was, catching wild rainbow trout rising to a dry fly, my casting was, as they say, not so good.

So, I borrowed my Dad's copy of Field & Stream, and here is an article on the technique of fly fishing.  The author was Lefty Kreh.
I climbed over the fence behind my parents home in Orangevale, CA, about 20 miles NE of Sacramento, CA, opened the magazine, and began to teach myself how to fly fish using a Fenwick fly rod and a Pfleuger Medalist reel.   My Mom gave me a tuft of yarn, and I tied it on as my fly.

Years later, at the International Sportsman Expo in San Mateo, CA, I met Lefty.  What a genuine guy and a big heart when it came to helping the uninitiated to the world of fly fishing.

Here in Feb. 1997, I asked him why I was getting knots in the tippet section of my leader.  Thinking maybe they are what we call "wind knots".  Lefty laughed and said,

"Wayne, let's call it was it is, A BAD CASTING KNOT!!!!"

The man was short on words but honest to the core.

He will be missed.  May God rest his soul.

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

broadway

Wayne, you were one of the lucky ones to be able to share a laugh with one of the greats.  Certainly a master at his craft... he will be missed by many.
I read a couple articles about fly tying that got me to the point of buying my own vice and supplies to start making teasers for fluke and stripers.
Thanks for bringing this to our attention,
Dom

festus

He's a legend.  I remember his articles from Sports Afield and Field & Stream from the 1960s.

But what I remember best wasn't a finesse fly fishing story.  He wrote an article about his homemade concoction, strawberry dough balls for carp.  I still use this occasionally, it's a combo of flour, water,  cormeal, vanilla, and strawberry Jello.  It'll also catch trout, bream, catfish, and drum.

RIP, Lefty Kreh.

swill88

Great story Wayne thanks!

I remember reading Lefty's articles but don't remember where.

steve

theswimmer

After watching my Dad and Grandpa tie flies as a kid it was Lefty's writing that got me started tying for my self.
Truly one of the greats.
I hope you are on that big Rubicon in  the sky looking for the big one.
RIP Lefty.

PS
Given some of the anicdotes I have  read about the man , I think he would swell the Wrecking Crew ranks to 5.😎
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Tiddlerbasher

Many years ago, when Lefty was working with TFO, I bought one of his Signature series travel fly rods. Nice rod - a bit too light for some of my current fishing.
Hope you're still catching 'em Lefty :(

Dominick

Thanks for the info Wayne.  RIP Lefty.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Donnyboat

Don, or donnyboat

David Hall

happyhooker

We lost a good 'un.  All anglers are short now just that little bit extra that he provided.

Frank