Okuma Andros 12N A Series Tutorial

Started by Rivverrat, March 18, 2018, 10:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Been wanting to do this tutorial for some time. I think I might be better prepared to do so now than I was prior. I have 3 of these reels but chose my 12N because it has some of the changes not seen in earlier versions of this reel. This will be a work in progress so be patient. Also click on pics to enlarge.      So lets get started

Rivverrat

First remove the drag adjustment knob

Rivverrat

Then  remove  the size 10 torx head side plate screw.

There is only one.

Rivverrat

Now with drive side of reel in strong hand & thumb on the gear box portion of side plate. While gripping the side in this manner twist the side plate.
Gear box away from you top part toward you. Twisting it to the left

Rivverrat

Pull the spool out & we now have the three separate pieces & assemblies that make up the reel.

Rivverrat

OK now for the drag & spool shaft.

Start by removing the drag assembly retaining ring. Push down on the metal drag disk & hold while inserting a screw driver under wire retaining ring lifting it out

Rivverrat

Lifting drag assembly from spool be careful not to lose the very small springs in the spool that go beneath the tabs of the main fiber drag.

They hit the floor they are gone. These springs are only seen on later releases of this reel. The first ones did not have them.

Rivverrat

Looking close you can see the 4 small springs in their respective place in the spool. Click on pics to enlarge.

IMPORTANT:

See that bearing in the drag assembly. It mounts in the pinion drive /guard.
Some here may dissagre & thats fine. I dont oil this bearing i grease this bearing. It has little to no effect on casting.
Because of its close proximity to the carbon drag washers.
I don't want oil contaminating them & causing delamination or take away from a smooth drag.

Rivverrat

Let's separate the Dual Force Drag into it's six separate parts.

It's all held together with a spring wire retaining ring. Simple but a very workable way of holding an assembly of parts together.

Rivverrat

Here we have the seven not six parts making up the Dual Force Drag.

Left to right metal disk, wave washer, carbon fiber washer,
Metal washer, what Okuma calls the pinion guard I refer to it as pinion drive.
Below this is the bearing & round spring reatainer.

Rivverrat

I'm back lets get this started. Since we are on the drag there is one peice that I need to mention while here. This being the small carbon washer that mounts to the spool it easily lifts out not glued like on some reels.

Remembering to be mindful of those four little springs.

While this small carbon washer does add a little bit to the final drag output of this reel I believe its main purpose is adding resistance for the cast control when used. It may also help a bit in relieving some of the load on the pinion bearing.

Rivverrat

Here is a proper pic of all parts making up the drag assembly.

Rivverrat

I think while we have it out & in hand it would be appropriate to bring up a very important part. This would be the pinion drive or as Okuma calls it pinion guard #607 on schematic.  Why is it important ?

If it's not perfect it can effect free spool & bring other issues.

The pinion drive is where the power from your hand, while cranking the gears is transferred to the spool. It is made from aluminum & fits in the center of the anti reverse gear which is made from harder stainless. I've heard of no issues. However as time passes & hours of use begin to add up this is a part to keep an eye on.

It is my hope the following pics clearly show how the two pieces fit together. This is important as this needs to be remembered when reassembling the drive side to the frame & spool as we come to that later.

Rivverrat

See the two shiny places, both left & right ? look like scratch marks.
This is what regular, good wear will look like from use from the pinion drive fitting into it's place in the anti reverse gear. 

Rivverrat

Now for the spool shaft. This is a part that for many brings frustration. Don't feel bad the reel techs at Okuma have felt the same. Going so far as making there own tool to deal with this issue at hand.

The belleville / spring  washers are assembled under load & they can be difficult to get back together.  If you are not up for dealing with this I suggest leaving the shaft assembled & lubing the right side spool bearing with a good oil. A drop on the shields on both sides will find its way inside.

Another option after disassembly is to install the belleville stack ((() vs the stock ()()  this will allow easy reassembly of the bearing & washer stack. Just so it's known this can this can leave you with cast control adjustment remaining only at the upper end & the spool bearings will more than likely need to be shimmed. But not in every case