Okuma Andros 12N A Series Tutorial

Started by Rivverrat, March 18, 2018, 10:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

IMPORTANT: If you do not wish to separate the high low gears this is a good place to remove the handle. Doing it now allows you to turn the handle off using the anti reverse.

Doing  this will allow you pull the gears, shaft & shift parts in one assembly.

Rivverrat

Now for the drive side. If this is your first time going in go slow, don't force or pry any thing.

Well start by removing the retaining plate & the two screws holding it in place. Okuma refers to it as Holded Plate. #201-1 on schematic.

This retaining plate was not used on earlier versions of the Andros 12.

Rivverrat

Be careful not to lose the spacing washers that lay on the bottom of retaining plate.

Rivverrat

Now lets remove the the dogs anti reverse gear & pinion. Sometimes this will come out in one unit. Lay the drive side, gear side down in your palm raising it & lightly tapping it into your palm to catch the parts as they fall out.

In this case they came out in one unit.

Rivverrat

Lets separate the the dogs, anti reverse gear, also separating the pinion into it's two parts.

Rivverrat

Let's move to the the shift assembly starting with the button. After removing retaining ring insert a hook through the side of button housing & force the button up.

Or just depress the button & push the shift release lever & catch the button as it pops out.

Rivverrat

next remove the two screws that hold the handle nut retainer in place.

Rivverrat

Lay shift release lever aside & remove handle nut lock screw remove handle nut. Its 14 mm with reversed threads.

Rivverrat

Now there are probably different ways to go about removing the handle keeping in mind it is threaded. I'll show here how I go about it.

Flip the drive side over with gears facing up. We will remove the gears starting with the C clip then spacer.

Rivverrat

the spacing washer that sits below C clip must be removed for easy gear removal. Or it can get caught in the groove for the C clip on gear shaft. Keeping the gears from dropping free.

OK flip the drive side plate over cupping the gears in your palm & push on the shift rod that is protruding from handle while reaching with fingers pull the gears free.

Rivverrat

now pull the Drive / shift pin

Well also remove the handle. Be careful using the method I describe here remember you can remove the handle earlier. But I do this at times for different reasons.

I use a taped screw driver inserted into the slot we pulled the shift / drive pin from.

Hold reel as shown & rotate handle backwards. Do not attempt this with a bare screw driver or any other bare metal tool we don't want scratches in this slot

Rivverrat

Separate the shift assembly for proper cleaning. Keeping in mind the their order for reassembly.

Rivverrat

`While we are here there are some bearings that may need attention. The first is the pinion bearing pointed to in the first pick. You can carefully remove the the shields & pack it by hand. Or use Alan's very handy bearing packer that allows greasing while leaving the shields in place. I will not be servicing this bearing having done it recently.

However there are two bearings for the gear & handle shaft that I will be servicing. 

Rivverrat

Here are the two shaft bearings. I will not be leaving them open. I will pack them by hand & replace the shields.

Rivverrat

Cleaned repacked & put back in place.

One bearing was bad. Received new ones. Dont expect they are packed well with grease. These temp bearings can see a lot of force.

Take the time to remove the shields & give them a look.
New bearing needed grease as shown in pics.