Restoring anodized parts

Started by xjchad, March 21, 2018, 03:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeysm

We use sodium sulfite in our DA tank as a oxygen scavenger for our boilers. It's used for allot of things.

Mike

Fishy247

QuoteFirst all the old anodize needs to be stripped

I'm kinda curious what would happen if you didn't do this. What if you just got rid of the corroded bits and shined up the raw aluminum, but left the rest of the anodize intact? Would the new color simply adhere to the raw bits? Might make for a pretty cool looking reel!

-Mike

BCT7

Quote from: Fishy247 on April 10, 2018, 03:50:18 PM

I'm kinda curious what would happen if you didn't do this. What if you just got rid of the corroded bits and shined up the raw aluminum, but left the rest of the anodize intact? Would the new color simply adhere to the raw bits? Might make for a pretty cool looking reel!

-Mike

Has anyone done this? Would love to see a picture...

I have a Daiwa 8700 that I have been trying to decide what to do next. I was going to re-paint the entire reel, but I kinda like the original finish. It does has a good portion of the reel showing the raw aluminium (I believe it is aluminium, but someone can correct me).

I thought about stripping everything and polish the aluminium but that seems like tons of elbow grease. I may do this in the winter if I get bored with nothing to do lol...

Another thought is to maybe just clean it up and clear coat it, but not sure how long that will last if the original fish is peeling off...

philaroman

i think Daiwa 8000 (not "A") series, only spool is black-anodized

Maxed Out

When anodizing,The parts hang on a rack that has small amount of electrical current that runs thru each part on that rack. If you want to re-anodize a portion of a part, you'd hafta also strip away the anodizing where the rack prongs make contact. The end result will be sub par at best
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: BCT7 on June 01, 2021, 08:45:21 PM
Quote from: Fishy247 on April 10, 2018, 03:50:18 PM

-Mike

Has anyone done this? Would love to see a picture...

I have a Daiwa 8700 that I have been trying to decide what to do next. I was going to re-paint the entire reel, but I kinda like the original finish. It does has a good portion of the reel showing the raw aluminium (I believe it is aluminium, but someone can correct me).

I thought about stripping everything and polish the aluminium but that seems like tons of elbow grease. I may do this in the winter if I get bored with nothing to do lol...

Another thought is to maybe just clean it up and clear coat it, but not sure how long that will last if the original fish is peeling off...
Do it. (Reel pictured is not a daiwa, but you get the idea). Just carve out 20 hours.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

BCT7

Quote from: philaroman on June 01, 2021, 09:02:17 PM
i think Daiwa 8000 (not "A") series, only spool is black-anodized

Gotcha thanks. So the body itself is painted, right? Sorry for dumb question, I literally do not know what I am doing lol.

I have a Daiwa 2600C that is in bad condition too that I may use as my practice run if I want to re-paint a reel instead of using my 8700. I am still trying to understand what to do (or not to do) when one re-paint a reel.

@JasonGotaPenn - that looks awesome! Do you polish by hand or like using dremel? I been watching people using dremel on youtube, not sure how that will work on a reel.

oc1

Quote from: BCT7 on June 11, 2021, 11:44:30 AM
I am still trying to understand what to do (or not to do) when one re-paint a reel.

Fred, oh Fred, somebody is calling.

philaroman

those mid-size C's are pretty cheap -- get another one!
put all the best parts in the better body & polish the more worn one at your leisure

blad

Press a couple of drops of gentle dishwashing cleanser into some water. Apply the soapy water to a grating wipe and clean the aluminum vivaciously. Anodized aluminum requires a rough touch with a delicate cleaning arrangement, as numerous cruel cleaning items will respond with the aluminum.