TLD 50 LRSA Knob replacement,

Started by wildcard, March 21, 2018, 01:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildcard

Hello folk's, I posted up awhile back asking about replacing the "newer" power handles on seven of my TLD 50's with the older plastic style handles. I didn't have any luck finding old handle assemblies (I would be very interested still) then. So I would like to know if there is a smaller knob that can be used to replace these big knobs? If so how do I go about replacing just the know with the existing handle, I am not seeing a nut or screw to remove the existing knob. I love these reels for my Charter boat use, the only problem is the larger power handles rub against alot of our customers thighs while they are in the fighting chair. Long question to a hopefully easy solution. Thanks, Frank

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Frank, I have five handles that appear to be NOS or take offs from new reels, and it looks like they have the same mounting hole pattern as the TLD 50 but I am not a Shimano guy, so I don't know if these are TLD or Tiagra handles.  If you can use them, I can sell them for $100 plus $7 for shipping by USPS Priority Mail with tracking.  Please take a look at the photo and let me know if that will work for you.  If so, I will get you an exact measurement of the square hole size and the distance between the three mounting holes

Thanks,

Randy

wildcard

Randy, thank you for the response. I am not a reel guy and mine are on my boat, maybe someone will chime in that would know for sure. I don't know what NOS stands for, sorry. Frank

Gfish

Cool handle "Wildcard". Nos= new old stock.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: wildcard on March 21, 2018, 05:38:56 PM
Randy, thank you for the response. I am not a reel guy and mine are on my boat, maybe someone will chime in that would know for sure. I don't know what NOS stands for, sorry. Frank

Frank, if it's okay with you I will move your post to the Shimano forum. There is a better chance that someone who follows that board will have an answer for us.

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Vintage Offshore Tackle

wildcard

Quote from: Gfish on March 21, 2018, 05:59:07 PM
Cool handle "Wildcard". Nos= new old stock.
"Wild Card" is the name of my 35 Bertram charter boat here on the Outer Banks, NC. The story goes that one of the former owners (who I had the pleasure to meet, after I brought the old girl back to life), was an NFL Player. He was picked up on a Wild Card draft. This is my sixth and last boat and the name pretty much sums up my life. Love the boat and so do the fish. Blessed indeed to be able to keep doing this and share it with the next generation of fishermen.

wildcard

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on March 21, 2018, 10:37:22 PM
Thank you Keith!

Randy

This is looking better all the time Randy. Wonder if we can come up with two more and make this a slam dunk???

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Frank, it sounds like you guys are having a spectacular season on the bluefin this year.  I hope that the closure doesn't put a crimp in your business.  I would guess that you were releasing most of the big fish anyway.

I haven't found any more of those handles, but I have a friend who might have one or two more.  Would you like these five, and two more at $20 each if I can find them?

Thanks,

Randy

wildcard

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on March 21, 2018, 11:05:27 PM
Frank, it sounds like you guys are having a spectacular season on the bluefin this year.  I hope that the closure doesn't put a crimp in your business.  I would guess that you were releasing most of the big fish anyway.

I haven't found any more of those handles, but I have a friend who might have one or two more.  Would you like these five, and two more at $20 each if I can find them?

Thanks,

Randy
Yes I believe I would like to get them Randy, a couple more would be awesome. As far as the bluefin's go, it was good fishing here. It started slow like usual, but when they showed up you could see acres of them. We fished this past Saturday, with some folks that wanted yellowfins. We ended up where the bluefin's were by the end of the day, the marks on the color scope looked like a parking lot in places. It was the last day of the "recreational trophy fish" season, so of course we couldn't buy a bite. It was still a beautiful day, with some really nice folks offshore that ended up with some fresh yellowfin loins for the grill.

STRIPER LOU

That's a sweet boat Frank! I had the pleasure of fishing out of a similar machine for a few years. Great sea boat, but a bit tough on fuel though.

Nice ship!!!!

...............Lou

wildcard

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on March 22, 2018, 12:21:55 AM
That's a sweet boat Frank! I had the pleasure of fishing out of a similar machine for a few years. Great sea boat, but a bit tough on fuel though.

Nice ship!!!!

...............Lou
Thank you Lou. Depends alot on the engines and how fast you want to run. This one is actually pretty good economy wise with the engines and gears in her. Agreed that deep vee from bow to stern and thick heavy bottom make them good sea boats for their size. No such thing as a cheap boat, more luck finding a cheap wife!

SoCalAngler

I'm not sure if the TLD30II handle is a direct swap or not for the 50LRS as I didn't check out the schematics. If so I have a TLD steel arm and knob I will sent to you for free, just PM me your mailing address.

Many of the earlier TLD's II had a aluminum arm which had a problem of cracking/breaking. Shimano did sort of a silent recall on the gold anodized aluminum arms which were swapped out at most of all their service centers free of charge.

You will really never see those gold arms out there anymore but some may still be hanging around but for me I would stay clear of those.

Carl L

Ooooooh !!!! A 35' Bertram.... Sweet boat you've got there.. She looks pristine !!  I guess you need a quality solid boat like that on those east coast waters to stay out of trouble!!