Matching a shark surf rod with a Penn 16/0

Started by mikeysm, March 25, 2018, 12:03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeysm

I am planing to match a surf rod for shark with a Penn 16/0. What kind of rod will fit my needs. Please I am not on a budget so economy is not a factor.  I was looking at Barret shark rods as a possible selection.

Mike

Shark Hunter

Barrett is a Good Choice.
They aren't cheap.
My biggest rods are mostly Rainshadow 80 to 130 eglass.
They have lots of Backbone with still a little give in the tip.
The Rod I use on my Big Everol's is a Calstar IGFA 80 Blank and it is Huge! compared to anything else I fish with.
Life is Good!

mikeysm

I added a insert kit for the drag with stainless steel gears. Along with Toms stainless dog to bump up the drag. Its a hard choice to make. To many to chose from.

Mike

Swami805

I know you're a Cali guy Mike. Calstar and Seeker both make a blank for just about everything. Both make glass/graphite composite blanks which are my personal favorite. If you're into a drive go to Island tackle in Carson, that's where I go and it's a 2 hour drive for me but worth it. He carry's several other brands as well. He stocks a ton of blanks so you can pull on them and get a really good idea of what feels right to you. He also has a ton of components to choose from. I know you don't build your own rods but with that kind of investment it would be worth the effort. Buying sight unseen off the interweb is always a crap shoot. The staff there know their stuff and are friendly and fish what they sell. See what you like if if the factory doesn't sell it they can have one made for you and ship it. I have no relation to these guys but a satisfied customer, they usually cut me some slack too since I drive so far.
Maybe you can combine it with another mission to LA, It's not to far from the airport.
Just my humble opinion Mike, others will chime in with some good ideas too.
Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mikeysm

I know what yuu mean Sheridan. I have blanks I dont know if I will ever get them built. I own three united composites rods. They are very well made and well worth the cost. I am trying to get a idea on the length and line requirements for a penn 16/0. Then I can start looking.

Mike

Shark Hunter

Mike,
Everyone has their methods and certain ways.
If it were me. I would spool it with straight 130 lb mono.
You can buy a 5lb spool of Sufix or Exsum from Captain Harry's for about $70 Dollars.
This should give you over 1000 yards of capacity.
I only have one Barrett Rod. It is Matched to a 12/0 Everol.

Life is Good!

mikeysm

The Barret rod certainly looks well made. Im looking at all options first. It will take allot more thought to make up my mind. All the information out there is just generic. There is really no break down of what to use.

Mike

Benni3

Ultra heavy rods or custom built rods ebay,,,,I have got lucky before and there's some nice stuff on there now

ksong

thorhammer

I have to fly into LAX in a few weeks. Must hit Carson's, thanks for the tip!

mikeysm

I was just looking for ideas before either building or buying a rod.  Shark fishing doesn't seem to be discussed much. I am trying to get some feed back on rods.

Mike

ksong

If you care about the weight of rod/blank, check Black Hole USA rods/blanks,

8' Black Hole Challenger Bank 801H blank weighs only 5.9 oz, but we landed 200 lb tuna with the rod.
10' Black Hole Cape Cod Surf II regular and heavy blanks weigh 7.4 oz and 8.4 oz and both rods can handle big shark.