Gear corrosion

Started by bhale1, March 26, 2018, 06:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midway Tommy

I'm kind of with Fred. I could care less what the makeup of my cleaners are as long as they do the job quickly, easily & without complications, or making me high or killing my wife and/or the pups. My go to initial degreaser will always be lacquer thinner. I never run out because I buy it cheaper buy the 5 gal drum and when I'm down to a gallon I go buy another 5 gal. I have a gallon of acetone that I seldom use and a gallon or two of mineral spirits that I also seldom use.

With all that said, I keep a quart of lacquer thinner in my reel room in the basement, and the 5 gal can stays out in the shed. We don't have any gas appliances so I don't have to worry about fumes being ignited & the house blowing up. I'm cognizant about not having the lacquer thinner jar open for long periods of time to help eliminate odor & fumes. All my non-painted metal parts go into the jar at the top left corner of the chair, with the lid screwed down tight. I've had parts in that jar for well a month with no adverse effects to any part. Granted, I'm not in the reel repair business so time isn't a factor, but if I was, lacquer thinner would still be my main grease solvent, just in a different manner. Mainly because it's the easiest and best degreaser out there. & BTW, the smell of lacquer thinner doesn't make me near as nauseous as Simple Green.   :P     
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Alto Mare

Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 29, 2018, 08:26:10 PM
Mainly because it's the easiest and best degreaser out there. & BTW, the smell of lacquer thinner doesn't make me near as nauseous as Simple Green.   :P     
If you're serious, you must have had something to drink ::) ;D. Lacquer thinner has no place in my house, but to each his own Tommy ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Gfish

What's in a name? Simple Green sounds like it's anything "but"... Gotta admire the companie's marketing strategy though(Sunshine Makers, Inc.).
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

I grew up with lacquer thinner around body shops.

And I still do a lot of woodworking that requires finishing with oil based stains and lacquers.

So my comfort level with it is good.  And I respect it, do not inhale, keep it as much as possible off my skin.

But it just works so well, and other cleaners are way too expensive or not as effective for me.

Currently, I am restoring 36 old DAM Quick Microlites — the first 17 are the old 265's.  These have every kind of grease that has been invented over the past 58 years.  There is a lot of crud, some corrosion, super hardened grease, etc.  Lacquer thinner just takes care of it, period.

Parts still need to be polished, burnished — but the crud is gone — and I can see what I have to work with.

Lacquer thinner isn't for everyone — and like any powerful cleaner, it is both effective and dangerous.

So it is only recommended for those who are careful and comfortable with the product.

The jar on the left has plastic and painted parts soaking in Dawn.

The middle and right one have brass, aluminum, steel, chromed, and alloy parts.  No damage to any of them.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 29, 2018, 09:46:50 PM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 29, 2018, 08:26:10 PM
Mainly because it's the easiest and best degreaser out there. & BTW, the smell of lacquer thinner doesn't make me near as nauseous as Simple Green.   :P     
If you're serious, you must have had something to drink ::) ;D. Lacquer thinner has no place in my house, but to each his own Tommy ;).

Only coffee, water or iced tea, Sal, but hey, most inside flower bouquets & old ladies' perfumes make me nauseous, too.  ;D :o   

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Alto Mare

:D :D...I have no doubts if the lacquer would work, especially when suggested by you or Fred, but I just can't stand the stench.
So, it's still a thumb down for me :), but not telling anyone else not to use it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 30, 2018, 11:18:27 AM
:D :D...I have no doubts if the lacquer would work, especially when suggested by you or Fred, but I just can't stand the stench.
So, it's still a thumb down for me :), but not telling anyone else not to use it.

I'm not advising anyone to use it, either.   :)  It's nasty stuff and probably not for the faint at heart or health freaks. I, like Fred, have worked with, and around it, all my life in the construction trades. Heck, my mother cleaned our new construction houses and used it on rags, with no gloves, cleaning fiberglass shower stalls, laminate counter tops, bath tubs, etc., for about 30 years. She's 87 & still going strong if that says anything, not cleaning houses for the last 20 years, though. The trick is to know the adverse effects it can have and respect that aspect. I've spent some time in a 40 sq ft bathroom with my mom and that stuff, and believe me, it definitely was no picnic.  :P Having fresh air available is the key!  ;)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

swill88

Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 30, 2018, 04:15:37 PM

I'm not advising anyone to use it, either.   :)  It's nasty stuff and probably not for the faint at heart or health freaks. I, like Fred, have worked with, and around it, all my life in the construction trades. Heck, my mother cleaned our new construction houses and used it on rags, with no gloves, cleaning fiberglass shower stalls, laminate counter tops, bath tubs, etc., for about 30 years. She's 87 & still going strong if that says anything, not cleaning houses for the last 20 years, though. The trick is to know the adverse effects it can have and respect that aspect. I've spent some time in a 40 sq ft bathroom with my mom and that stuff, and believe me, it definitely was no picnic.  :P Having fresh air available is the key!  ;)

reminding me of younger days days cleaning misplaced polyurethanes and such with MEK, rag and no gloves.

younger and dumber days

steve

Midway Tommy

Quote from: swill88 on March 30, 2018, 06:05:49 PM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 30, 2018, 04:15:37 PM

reminding me of younger days days cleaning misplaced polyurethanes and such with MEK, rag and no gloves.

younger and dumber days

steve

I'm not concerned about it. Heck, I still scrub my greasy hands with LT after I've been working on the vehicles, regular & lawn tractors, outboards, etc. As long as it's only now and then it shouldn't be a big deal. Government goes overboard on scare tactics. I hear the left coast folks can't even drink coffee now without being warned.  :o   

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Gfish

87! Probably good genitics and a heartiness ya need to live in the Nebraska winters.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

I haven't used LQ much for decades, but it used to dry out my skin and make my delicate little pink fingers crack.
-steve

Midway Tommy

Quote from: oc1 on March 30, 2018, 10:40:20 PM
I haven't used LQ much for decades, but it used to dry out my skin and make my delicate little pink fingers crack.
-steve

It definitely does that! You find any little nicks pretty quickly, too.   ::) I try to keep it away from cuts and use a little hand lotion afterwards.   ;)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Chuck750ss

As to simple green, I have come to the conclusion that Dawn and warm water works better. My two cents worth.
You want a horror story? When I was a kid, I was the clean it guy for Dad and my next to oldest brother. They were always working on one of my brothers old cars or Dads Willy's jeep. Open bucket with gasoline. And they both smoked! No gloves, safety glasses.

foakes

You guys should try a little bag balm after handling solvents.

Dairymen have used it for years.  Along with anyone who works with their hands outside — painters, farmers, woodsmen, etc..

Best I have ever found.

From Vermont.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Fred,
I mean no disrespect, but I would catch 10 kinds of hell if I pulled that out with my kids around. ;D
Life is Good!