Drag Washers,Bail Springs, casting distance

Started by Reel Beaker, March 30, 2018, 01:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel Beaker

Hi Guys,

thinking maybe i would get some pre-cut drag washers to see if i like the result. May i ask if daiwa drag washers are thicker or thinner? If i like the result, and decide to upgrade another reel(okuma reel), do i need to cut the washers myself since pre-cut washers are mainly in shimano/daiwa sizes?

Was checking my reel condition since it is the end of the month, and something suddenly dawned on me. We usually have reel schematics which show us the part number so we can order them if they get damaged, but i have never seen a spinning reel schematic in which the rotor was open and the bail spring having a part number. So what happens when we need to replace a bail spring? Where can we get the part?

While casting, how can i judge how far i have cast? I mean how can i approximate how many yards/meters that i have casted?

happyhooker

Lots of spinning reel schematics with bail springs shown.

Or, did I misunderstand your concern?

Frank

oc1

There are plenty ways to measure the casting distance.  A football field and ten yard tape measure may be the gold standard but not very convenient.  

You can take a small scrap of spectra line and tie a uni knot around your main line.  You want the uni knot to slide on the mainline, but with some resistance.  As you cast, slide the uni knot back and forth until it is at the tip top on an average cast after the slack has been taken out of the line.  Later, you can measure how far the uni knot is from the casting weight.

I don't have a fancy line counter and just wind line on an old plastic bicycle wheel rim mounted on the side of a work bench.  Then count the revolutions.  It's a small rim so each revolution is 49.5 inches on mine.  Good for measuring how much line is on a small reel too.

You can usually do a google search with the reel model number and the word "schematic" and find one on line from mysticparts.com, reelschematic.com, mikesreelrepair.com, ereplacementparts.com, etc.
-steve

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackles old online store over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Midway Tommy

You could get a cheap range finder and be quick before the landing rings dissipate.  :)

I'm a good judge of distance so it's not a big issue for me. The best advice I can give you is to go to some open space like a park, ball field, etc., with some different weight casting plugs. Measure your normal walking step. Mine is right at 36". After your casts walk to the weight and calculate what the distance is. I can walk off 75 steps (225 ft.) or more and be within 12". That's a lot easier than using a tape measure, but you could 100' tape measure, too. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

handi2

What reel are we talking about? Later model Daiwa spinners usually use thinner drag material than Penn and Shimano.

If you can measure them they can be had. Smooth drag carries Daiwa drag kits for spinning reels.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

WestCoast Transplant

The park down the road planted trees 10 yards apart between two field lights 100 yards apart. You might luck out around your house.
The best place to be is outdoors

Reel Beaker

Quote from: happyhooker on March 31, 2018, 03:04:50 AM
Lots of spinning reel schematics with bail springs shown.

Or, did I misunderstand your concern?

Frank

.., u are actually right bout that....guess i wasnt concentrating...

swill88

Quote from: WestCoast Transplant on April 01, 2018, 02:47:09 AM
The park down the road planted trees 10 yards apart between two field lights 100 yards apart. You might luck out around your house.

Which park is that?

Steve

WestCoast Transplant

Guthrie Park off Balfour Road, Brentwood.
The best place to be is outdoors

Tiddlerbasher

Most spinners I've come across use 1mm (approx 40 thou) thick washers. Daiwa usually use .5mm (approx 20 thou). But it is always best to measure what's in your hand

Donnyboat

you can buy sheets of .5 easy to cut, with a sharp scriber, in Australia its about AU $23:00/ sheet, delivered home, you should get 14 to 17 washers out of one sheet, depending on the diameter/ washer. cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat