Calcutta 400b help...

Started by Board4life, July 23, 2011, 08:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Board4life

I have a Calcutta 400b that I was loaning to a friend and he thought he would tighten the side plate screws for me and busted one of them off. He tightened it too much and the tip broke of in the thread portion of the side plate. Any one know where I can get that removed or a way I can get that out?

Bryan Young

Can you post a pic of the situation.  It's easier to recommend if we know what we are working with.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

back out the remaining screws, remove the side plate and let's see how much of the stud is left.  if we're lucky, there will be just enough to grab with wire cutters and unscrew the stud.  getting a new one is as simple as calling shimano at 877-677-0600.  worst case, you will have to drill.  you will need a tiny drill and an even smaller screw extractor.  good thing your friend agreed to pay shimano for the cost of having them fix this if you can't! 

um, right ......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Board4life

Ok guys... no need to panic. Problem solved.

So here are pics of the issue at hand.

One of the screws lost.

Half of it was still stuck inside the threads.

After picking at it for a while, I got it out. I automatically assumed since it took some force to break it off inside, it was going to be stuck in there forever. Luckily I was wrong.

Now all I have to do is call Shimano and order a new one.

On these Calcutta, should I just be finger tightening the screws?

Thanks for the advice.

Alto Mare

Very nice job Board4life, one screw is a small price to pay. Tell us a little about the process you used to take it out. Thanks! Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

winston61

While I am sure he meant well, I always assure my friends that I need no help in maintaining my gear.

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Board4life

Actually it was not as bad as I thought. I was able to just use a pin and rotate it out. Not a big deal at all... And for the record... he knows now not to mess with my gear. lol.

;D

alantani

glad it worked out!  some of them can be pretty ugly!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!