Black hole rod to pair with van stall vr 50?

Started by RandyMFoster, March 08, 2018, 12:07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RandyMFoster

Hi ive been able to find very little info on how the different rods would pair as no local shops carry black hole rods. I'm looking for one or two rods to pair with the vr 50 my current default flats rod is a st croix avid inshore 7 m I often find myself under gunned when I hook up a big snook or back bay juvenile tarpon big red etc.. living in west central florida I throw a lot of lighter baits with the st croix medium even though I love the rod. I was looking for something equally as light but with more backbone I often throw 1/8 in supershallow more often 1/4 but also throw a lot of hard plugs 1/2 to an ounce in weight. Both the Black hole challenger 70L and the Suzuki special models have me very interested would the 70L have more backbone then my current st croix medium? How would they pair with a vr 50 weighing around 9 ounces. Any insight or rod recomdations would be appreacited. Thank you in advance

steelfish

Quote from: RandyMFoster on March 08, 2018, 12:07:07 AM
I was looking for something equally as light but with more backbone I often throw 1/8 in supershallow more often 1/4 but also throw a lot of hard plugs 1/2 to an ounce in weight.

interested on the answer too
The Baja Guy

Benni3

Just got the black hole Suzuki 10ft,,,,but have not hooked anything over 3lb,,,,,and was told the 9.6ft Suzuki is alot stronger at 9.6oz? And called g Loomis about the imx surf rods weight,,,,thay said we don't really know because there all custom built :D with the 10ft 1/16 40ft?,,,, 1/4 60 to 80ft? 8lb 0.009

RandyMFoster

Hm it seems the longer suskis may be a Bit to heavy for the reel I think that has me leaning towards the challenger rod as an everyday flats  set up and maybe the 9'6 for heavier peir/ jetty or casting biger plugs from the "surf" at honeymoon island for xl snook tarpon etc. I may have to take the leap of faith on the chalanger 70l and if I like it then get the suski. Il maybe see if I can handle the new st croix tournament legend inshore in 7'6 mh that may also work allthough looking at the videos of black hole rods preformance they seem very impressive for their weight wish I had a local vender

ksong

The 9'6" and 10' Black Hole Suzuki rods are not heavy for VS50 at all.
Among two, I recommend 9'6" Suzuki rod as it has more backbone and still you can cast 1/2 oz lure.
But guys who check both rods at Fred Hall show prefer lighter 10' rods. :)
we landed 30 lb striper, 40 lb drum as well as 21 rooster in two days with the 9'6" Black Hole Suzuki rods
The 9'6" blanks weighs 4.4 oz and the 10' weighs 3.7 oz.
If you change rear full grip to split grip like the 10' rod, the weight of the 9'6" Suzuki rod should be around 8.6 oz.

RandyMFoster

Oh okay thank you so much for the info ksong I like the idea of changing the grip on the 9,6 to make it alittle lighter it souds perfect for the heavier inshore applications and I didn't really want to go up to 10 ft.. any thoughts on the challenger blanks for the vr50 throwing lighter lures on the flats? Any idea how the 70l would compare to a st croix medium power?

ksong

Here is video of fighting nice drum using 7' Black Hole Challenger Bank 701L. Blank weighs only 2.3 oz. It is lighter than any comparable GLoomis blanks.

RandyMFoster

Yeah I'm sold on the 70l it looks like it handled that red very well. Now deciding on a heavier application rod How much heavier is the power on the 9 6 Suzuki? Would that rod have the backbone for tarpon or would i be severely under gunned?

ksong

The 9'6" Suzuki rod handled 30 - 40 lb drum and we had 21 roosters upto  20 lb with the rod in Panama.
I can say the rod can handle tarpon upto 40 - 50 lb.

steelfish

Im more into inshore type rods for using a low profile baitcasting and recently saw this video

of a Black Hole Hyper BH7114P-MH Inshore Rod, I havent hear anything about that rod

kil, by chance do you have more testing videos of that inshore rod?
The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

Quote from: RandyMFoster on March 08, 2018, 12:07:07 AM
... would the 70L have more backbone then my current st croix medium? How would they pair with a vr 50 weighing around 9 ounces. Any insight or rod recommendations would be 

Don't know which model St. Croix you have. But I would venture to say yes it would. I like St Croix rods for certain things. However the Black Hole blanks are a completely different animal... Jeff

RandyMFoster

Yeah I ordered 701L spinning from j and H. Still shipping excited to try it il post my impressions about it. Assuming i really like it going to order slow pitch inshore special conventional for shallow jiging wrecks. Might just order blank and have a local kid I know do the rest based upon the first one I gets spine/guide alignment. Just got a medial branch block done so I'm out of commission a few days hoping the 701L arrives by the end of my recovery time. For you're reference the st croix rod I own is the avid inshore medium 7 ft extra fast action. Im anticipating this rod being close in weight just a tiny bit heavier but with a lot more back bone . Il let you guys know my impression for anyone else thinking of buying one after I hook it up with a proper snook and cast a few different lure sizes

Rivverrat

Not fished with any of St. Croix's inshore rods. Though I think your assumptions on the Black Hole blank are most likely true... Jeff

ksong

The Black Hole Challenger Bank 701L blank weighs 2.3 oz. The blanks is lighter than comparable GLoomis IMX or GLX blank, but they have more backbone and powerful.

We develop 8' Black Hole Challenger Bank 801L and the rods will be available in the fall of 2018.

RandyMFoster

Update I am very impressed with the rod. Thanks for the heads up ksong I plan on probably picking that rod up after I see the specs. Have finally got to get to use the rod quite a bit casts nicely even on the lower end  I was at first amazed with the weight, after hooking some fish the power and how much less fatigue I experience fighting fish is impressive. The rod far exceeded my high exceptions. Im looking at the charter special slow pitch rod for shallow jigging in the gulf