Gs 1 reel

Started by Chuck750ss, April 03, 2018, 02:09:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck750ss

Looking at parts schematic on this reel, it appears to be well made. Anyone have/had one that could tell me anything about these reels?
Thanks in advance.

Grey Ghost

I have about three and a half of them, went through one pretty good but it didn't come out as smooth as I hoped, there still might be shims or parts missing that I missed, but I liked it enough to buy two more beaters that need rebuilt also, I'm not unsure if it isn't the same reel as the 1000c. I'll look deeper again into it!
  My "feeble mind" has also overtaken me, it is SS No.1's that I have not Gold, I have a feeling they all 3 have some interchangeable parts.

Midway Tommy

The GS (Gold Series) is from the 1977 time frame. I don't have a lot of Daiwa knowledge but if I remember right they were a step up from the C (Silver Series). For some reason I'm thinking the GS reels had ball bearings instead of nylon bushing type bearings. I'm sure someone will correct me if my feeble mind is mistaken about that, though.  ;D 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Tiddlerbasher

Quite right Tommy the GS series did have ball bearings, but I don't know where or how many, never opened one. I used to use a pair of GS2050 for carp fishing back in the day until I found out the limitations of rear drag reels. I just checked and I still one in my loft space - cranks ok still. Last used back-end of the 70s. Rear drags Arrrgh!

thorhammer

I think Dave has one of these if I saw his surf rod pic correctly.

nelz

I have a GS13, indestructible except for the bail spring. 3 bearings in it. The GS-1 has 2. The venerable BG's were based off of these.

Chuck750ss

Thanks guys. Got one on the way. I will post what all I find when I tear it down. Will try and post pics . Think I know how now. (Thanks to Midway Tommy!) I am pretty klutzy with electronic devices so don't expect a 1st class job!
No really good reason for purchasing this reel. Just kinda caught my eye. Parts schematic looked like quality reel. We will see.
Gold series seem to be holding value good.

Chuck750ss

Size comparison. Penn 720 and Cardinal 753.