Pro Gear YTS

Started by grouper1000, March 06, 2020, 06:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grouper1000

Bought a pair of Pro Gear YTS reels for Grouper fishing. When the drag is locked down (which is a must for Grouper), it's pretty tight, but I can still pull out line. Never had that problem with my Penn 4/0's or Newell's. Should I replace the drags with 5 stack HT-100? Should that help?

alantani

braid slipping on the spool????
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

grouper1000

I'm using mono...when locked down, it's pretty tight, but it still pulls out

alantani

button it down and pull with a scale.  that would help.  a spool slipping on the spool shaft is also possible. 

Alto Mare

Sounds like your drag stack.
Maybe a washer is out of place, or the stack is too short, if that's the case, you will need a longer spacer sleeve, or an additional metal washer on top.
It could also be related to your spring washer on top, right below the spacer sleeve, try a different one.

Did you check the drags after purchasing the reels?

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

grouper1000

Purchased online, and when I checked it, I found out... Maybe just another washer? Or would a 5 stack HT-100 upgrade help considering the reel's about 20yrs old.

grouper1000

To be honest, don't really know much about reel internals. Trying to find a place that can fix it, thanks

Rivverrat

If you would like or have the smallest inkling to to try there are many here who would enjoy walking you through this... Jeff

grouper1000

I'm getting two more of this reel. I want to wait and see if they may have the same problem, and if so I'll try to figure out what I can do. Thanks Jeff

Darin Crofton

Quote from: grouper1000 on March 06, 2020, 07:03:12 PM
To be honest, don't really know much about reel internals. Trying to find a place that can fix it, thanks
What Jeff said is right! When I first came on here I was terrified to open up a reel, but after reading and watching for awhile I gave it a go and am so happy I did! I'm no expert and can't do anything fancy, but now I can take apart pretty much any Penn conventional, clean it up, add cf washers and any upgraded parts and put it back together. You'll run into a problem here and there, but with everyone's help in here you'll figure it out and feel great about it!!! Good luck buddy!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Donnyboat

Hi Grouper hang in there man, look @ some more tutorials, maybe your eared washer is not in the grooves, some times if you bend the ears down it will help the washer to stay in place, also before installing and screwing the bridge into place, get a small lackey band, and place it over the top of the sleeve several times, so your drag stack does not move as you install it,      With the new reels make sure you tie the line on good, then place a couple of half hitches on the shaft as well that should stop any line slipping, good luck, hang in there I have my money on you, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

SoCalAngler

I know this is a bit late, sorry. I just checked my YTS with the stock drag config of greased Carbontex drags and I'm getting 23 lbs of drag at what I call stupid tight. There was more room to force tighten the star more but I didn't see the need to go further. To know where you are as far as drag goes you should really get a spring scale and test to see exactly where you are at.

Remember these reels were designed to fish 40 to 50 lb test, so the 23 lbs I'm getting is plenty for my use.

P.S. The 5 stack should get you more drag if needed.

alantani

go with the 5-stack.  that should help!!!!!