Langley 850B Spinlite Deluxe no anti-reverse

Started by Fish4everRob, April 04, 2018, 12:02:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fish4everRob

I posted something similar to this in the schematic section which should help. I found a fix on another site, if anyone could put it in English for me:

Yes your reel does have a full-time anti-reverse which also acts to center the bail at the top, when the handle is backed up. Yours is simply not working. To check it out you need to remove the rotor. On the bottom of the rotor you will see a brass cresent shaped dog. To the right of the top of the dog is a narrow slit. A small piece of black rubberized material fits it the slit and extends outward toward the edge of the inside of the rotor. The rubberized material disintegrates over time causing the anti-reverse to fail. You will also notice a triangular extension on the inside and bottom of the rotor. This is the actuator for the anti-reverse. The narrow rubberized strip in the dog catches the actuator when the handle is backed up causing the dog to shift position and stop the rotor. This is repairable. First pay attention to the position of the dog and then remove it. Then using a thin blade (I use an exacto knife) remove what is left of th rubberized strip in the slit on the dog. Then you need to find some plastic bottles, containers, or lids, that one can experiment on. Cut a small straight strip (about 1/8" wide & 5/16" long) from the plastic item. The plastic has to be flexible and resilient. The thickness of the plastic strip has to be the correct thickness so that it will fit in the slit on the dog. Also you will have to experiment with the length of the strip. Too long or too short will not work. The strip has to be long enough so that it will contact the triangular actuator and short enough so it will not bind on the inside of the rotor. It does take time to find the right kind & thickness of plastic and to get the length correct. Sooner or later you will get it right and the anti-reverse will work as it should. If you don't want to do this yourself I would be happy to do so. Just drop me a line. Randy

This would probably help an experience repair guy, but that's not me! Remove the ROTOR? Crescent shaped DOG? Actuator? It's like this, I can't figure out how to get the top of the reel apart from the bottom (not even sure if I need to or if it even comes apart) It's all apart ecept for a large brass what I assume is a main gear in the lower section on the handle side of the reel, and a gear coming down from the top (spool section). Not sure if either of these are pertinent to what I'm trying to do, and definitely have no idea what the technical terms are. There's only a handful of pieces in the whole thing, look easy, but not for me. Somebody draw me a picture please,lol! Thanks, Rob

Midway Tommy

Follow the instructions in the paragraph you quoted. Below is a photo of what you are looking for and here are a couple of steps to get you there.

1. Remove the drag knob and spool.
2. Remove the sideplate.
3. Remove the R-clip that retains the main shaft and pull the shaft out from the front of the rotor.
4. Remove the C-clip from the groove in the main shaft. It is directly behind the pinion gear and may be covered with grease and hard to see.
5. Pull the rotor off of the body.
6. There is a small brass bolt & nut that secures the brass dog.
7. You may have to use a small screwdriver or micro side cutters to open the slot that holds the rubber tab. The one in this photo is already open and the blue line shows how the tab should be positioned.
8.  Cut the 1/8" x 5/16" tab, put it in the slot and squeeze the slot closed to secure the tab in the slot. I use rubber inner tube material for the tabs I install but any flexible vinyl or rubber material of comparable thickness that doesn't get brittle will work.

Note that you may not have a dog flip spring on the body housing like the one in this photo because this reel is a later Zebco 850. It's been awhile since I did my Langleys and I can't remember if their actuating setup is exactly the same as this, but the dog mechanism and disassembly is the same.

Put it back together in the opposite order that you took it apart.    
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Fish4everRob

Thanks man, there are a few differences, plus I think someone before me "worked" on this thing! There's no dog flip spring that I see. I don't see an actuator as such on the Zebco. Some cat put my little brass dog underneath everything, and I don't think it goes there! There's a hole on the outside by the bail spring, I put a rod in there, it goes inside to the hollowed out bar which apparently does nothing. Bottom line, I still can't get this thing apart, maybe a look at these pictures will remind you about how a Langley works, any and all help appreciated! Thanks, Rob

foakes

There should be a "C" clip holding the pinion gear on.  It looks to be somewhat hidden in grease — but a pick or small screwdriver will remove it — then the rotor will lift off, and you can then get the main removed and everything cleaned up.

I have a box of these old guys, and the Zebcos along with them — and 2 out of 3 of the Langleys have A/R not functioning.

Hardened grease interferes, as well as the rubber tab degenerates over time.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

The brass dog is supposed to be between the rotor and body. The slotted brass screw in your fig 1 holds the dog in place. When you remove the C-clip you can separate the rotor from the body and it will look similar to the photo I previously posted. I borrowed one of your photos to show you where the C-clip is located. Once you get it apart, (use two small screwdrivers, one on each corner, and push it straight down being careful not to break it), if you are still confused post a couple of photos like the Zebco I posted & Fred or I will walk you through the rest of the process. 

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Fish4everRob

Finally got time to mess with this thing, got it apart, replaced tab, and....it doesn't work! There has to be something missing under there, there's absolutely nothing to grab the tab if the reel goes in reverse. the spool and everything rides well above it, there's no spring or gear for it to hit; but then again, it could be me, but as I see what I've got here, it must work by magic?? Any ideas? Rob

Midway Tommy

There is nothing that can be missing if the brass dog & tab are there. There are only 4 parts, the screw/bolt, nut, dog & tab. Make sure the dog moves back & forth freely and that the tab is long enough to be bent a little and rubbing on the rim. Also, make sure it isn't rubbing on the back of the rotor and preventing free movement of the dog. While you are turning the handle in the forward motion the tab will keep the dog in the bypass position and when you turn the handle in reverse the force of the tab flipping the opposite direction will flip the dog out so that it stops against the stud, i.e. "actuator". You should be able to view that by, with the spool removed, looking in the hole next to the dog screw. If that doesn't help take it back apart and snap a couple of good photos of the back of the rotor & dog and the front of the body housing, similar to the two pics I posted, so we can see what you are dealing with. 

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

DougK

I found another way the antireverse works, for those reels that have a dog flip spring.

Bought an Abercrombie & Fitch 150, which is the same as a Spinlite. On this one the antireverse was working fine as delivered. I took it apart to clean the old stiff grease out. There was no rubber tab in the antireverse dog, which made me think there must be something else going on.

Using Midway Tommy's excellent picture in the previous post (April 03, 2018, 08:00:49 PMPosted by: Midway Tommy)

When assembling the rotor and reel body, make sure the tip of the dog flip spring inserts into the slot of the crescent shaped brass dog.
The dog should appear as pictured. Mine has a rounded-edge side and a flat-edged side - the flat side should face the rotor. At first I had it wrong way up and that don't work.