DDR reel

Started by Chuck750ss, April 05, 2018, 12:31:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck750ss

Drinking around on German eBay. Ran across this. Anyone??

Chuck750ss

Missed shot.

Chuck750ss

Chuck750ss

The seller is responsible for this offer.
Old Fishing Reel East Germany ESWEDE Emte Dolphin
Used Condition
Action ends 7 days 17 hours
Buy it now 64.99 Euros
Make an offer
No sales to the USA
Read the item description or contact the seller.

So, neat old fishing reel, and won't sell to you.
From a guy who was a translator for the army.

Ron Jones

I like the wave design on the handle side, even though the handle is on the wrong side.
Looks like Shimano's prototype for a rear drag reel.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Rivverrat

I  really, really would like to see the inside of it... I really would :) ... Jeff

Silvers

This reel is one of the best building you can get from the previously GDR.

Since 1961 it was build under license from the VEB Schreibmaschinenwerk Dresden, recognizable at the letters "ESWEDE"

The original reel was made by Martin Treppenhauer and was labeled with "MT" and a bit later with "Emté".
It was introduced 1958 and production ended 1968.

Previous model of the "Emté Delphin" was the "Emté Alligator" which prduction ended in 1959.

just some features of the Delphin and mostly also the Alligator:

• screwed skirted spool (mono diameter 0,30mm/150m)
  • wormgear drive (steel/brass) with ratio 1:3,44
  • rear drag
  • internal bail kick system, manually usable and also per handle
  • silent anti reverse
  • left or right-hand crank conversion (same like Quick Finessa's and 110-550 which was build very later)

Good pieces are not easy to get and expensive, not under 200€ possible to get, very collectible reels for sure. ;)

oc1

A whole other world of fishing reels.  Thank you for the neat stuff you have been showing us Silvers.
-steve

Silvers

Yeah i know what you mean.
The same goes for me with many of your common american reels too. ;D

Gfish

Das ist ein gut reel? The only external thing I can see that I dislike is the bail with no line roller. Would indeed be cool to see some internal stuff.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: oc1 on September 08, 2019, 09:10:28 PM
A whole other world of fishing reels.  Thank you for the neat stuff you have been showing us Silvers.
-steve

It's nice to now have someone from the other side of the pond that can expand on many of the mechanics and history of these types of fixed spools. Information has been limited over the years on a lot of the obscure, at least in the US, reels made in many parts of Europe.

Thank's, Silvers, for sharing with us your knowledge.  :)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Silvers

Quote from: Gfish on September 09, 2019, 07:59:27 PM
Das ist ein gut reel? The only external thing I can see that I dislikeis the bail with no line roller. Would indeed be cool to see some internal stuff.

Das ist eine sehr gute Rolle  ;)

Of course, its very good for that time and situation, where was build.
In the 50s we had some genius engineers in east germany too, who manufactured very good reels.
I'm too young to have experience from that time, but my grandpa told me alot of them and gave me some of his fishing tackle before he died.

Sadly it was just a short time, private historic companys were nationalized and products of them going realy hard down in quality.
Some of the later reels was not bad, but definitly lesser qualitys.

As example is the reel "Forelle" (in english: Trout), a fine little black reel with snap-off skirted spool (the only one now, all others doesnt had a skirted spool). This reel was mainly used here at for light spinning and casting sport. The reel was a full metal reel.
Another one is the reel "Rileh Rex 64", which was build in a factory where i worked before the wall falls. Bad things of it was the spool and drag and also the fast breaking bail-spring.
Both had a wormgear-drive which was brass and a ball bearing at the pinion.

Better reels coming from Czech like the Stabil or Tokoz, secondly had also some reel under license from Ryobi, as sample the MK100.
Russians had also a lot reels under license from others, best example are the Orion's which was a copy of the Shakespeare Sigma.

If anybody have questions about tackle from the "dark side", just ask. I will try to answer if i can. ;)

Here is a video of the reel

And here are some pictures of the Delphin, Forelle, Rileh Rex 64 and also some russian reels from a russian board.
http://spinning.kharkov.ua/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=13668&p=888599

Midway Tommy

I would think the bail spring would catch on a lot of things and be easily bent out of shape ans weakened.  :o
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Silvers

You mean that little crapy spring which hold the bail outside of the rotor?

I'm realy not sure, but i dont think this construction was the original one. It looks more like handmade in a garage with a ballpoint pen spring  ;D
Raw materials and parts was in the GDR very rare (spare parts near impossible to get), at that time people built something out of everything they had, the important thing was that it worked.