Thin washer under the sleeve? 506hs

Started by Fish67, April 05, 2018, 01:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fish67

Hi everyone, I purchased a jigmaster 506hs and found a thin washer under the sleeve. Is that supposed to be there?

broadway

I never worked on a 506 but a thin washer like that might take some play out of the sleeve if there was some.
Dom

Fish67

Thanks broadway. I ended up purchasing pro challenger's SS sleeve so I left it out. I didn't notice a whole lot of play, but have saved it on the side in case. The weird thing is the ID of the washer is way too big for the sleeve so my thinking  was the previous owner must have accidentally put it there.

Gfish

Probably on purpose. Some OCD people like me, cant stand that gear sleeve slop, i.e., the sleeve moves horizontally relative to the bridge stud(in and out)and can also move laterally( kinda wobble back and forth). I dislike it so much, I'd use a loose fitin' washer insteada searching for a perfect fit. Probably does not hurt anything, but I suppose it could lead to excessive wear.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Tiddlerbasher

I now install a thin (.5-1mm) teflon washer under the sleeve, reduces friction and any play. As well as a delrin washer under the gear.

Keta

Doing this helps reduce the handle thrust but I prefer to use the original contact surfaces, but shim washers that small are hard to find.  I am working on access to a CNC router that might be able to cut .010 and .020 Delrin shim washers.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

thorhammer

The 506 is a reel that gets no burn, since we all love to narrow 500's. But being already narrowed, with high speed gears, with ball bearings, these are great reels. my o.o2

John

Tiddlerbasher

For thin teflon/delrin I just use wadcutter punches in the appropriate sizes - clean and quick. Thin teflon is much easier to find than thin delrin (pom h that is - pom c acetate is much easier to find at least in the UK)

Keta

Teflon does not tend to crack as bad as Delrin too.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tiddlerbasher

Fish67

You gentlemen are awesome! I appreciate all the information. Really helps me with these rebuilds.

mike1010

Quote from: Fish67 on April 05, 2018, 04:37:18 PM
You gentlemen are awesome! I appreciate all the information. Really helps me with these rebuilds.

McMaster-Carr sells very thin stainless washers that are good for this purpose.  PM me your snail mail address and will send a few.

Mike

Gfish

Quote from: Keta on April 05, 2018, 03:43:10 PM
Doing this helps reduce the handle thrust but I prefer to use the original contact surfaces, but shim washers that small are hard to find.  I am working on access to a CNC router that might be able to cut .010 and .020 Delrin shim washers.

In the market for some a those Lee. Keep us "posted".
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Fish67

Not the coolest jigmaster here, but this is what I'm working with. I've added SS sleeve, pro challenger handle, and a power knob. Had to drill a second slot on the handle as I felt it was too long for this size of reel, and drilled a little low. The little lock screw won't be able to keep the handle screw from spinning if it comes lose. I will look for a slightly wider lock screw, but I might be ok.

I have two more additions to add to this reel, and I'm done. That's a drag upgrade and SS gears. I will be fishing the crap out of this reel.  I'm building it for lings/rockfish. For some reason my older penns catch more fish than any of new reels.  ;)  old penns rules!

Swami805

I was surfing ebay last night late (always a bad idea) and saw a somewhat beat up 505 in the newell section. Said it had newell parts but I didn't see any. I've had a 506 spool for some reason forever so buy it now $35 bucks free shipping so here goes. I have some boneyard parts to narrow it. Just what I needed another project, seemed like a good idea at the time HAHA.
Do what you can with that you have where you are