Thin washer under the sleeve? 506hs

Started by Fish67, April 05, 2018, 01:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fish67

Quote from: Swami805 on April 06, 2018, 04:03:24 AM
I was surfing ebay last night late (always a bad idea) and saw a somewhat beat up 505 in the newell section. Said it had newell parts but I didn't see any. I've had a 506 spool for some reason forever so buy it now $35 bucks free shipping so here goes. I have some boneyard parts to narrow it. Just what I needed another project, seemed like a good idea at the time HAHA.

I know that feeling. The reel addiction is real!

Jerseymic

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on April 05, 2018, 09:41:33 AM
I now install a thin (.5-1mm) teflon washer under the sleeve, reduces friction and any play. As well as a delrin washer under the gear.

Hi Tiddlerbasher,

Could you please tell me where you get your Teflon and Delrin washers from here in the U.K.

Many thanks,

Mike.

Swami805

Got the 505 in the mail yesterday and this is how they sent it,in an envelope. The reel seems fine.  Hard to believe nothing was bent or anything. Not bad for $35
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Tiddlerbasher

Hi Mike - I buy sheets/offcuts of teflon and delrin from anywhere (usually fleabay). I cut the washers with a wad cutter set, which I also use to cut cf washers:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maun-Metric-Wad-Punch-1000/dp/B0001P0E14

Jerseymic

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on April 08, 2018, 03:32:59 PM
Hi Mike - I buy sheets/offcuts of teflon and delrin from anywhere (usually fleabay). I cut the washers with a wad cutter set, which I also use to cut cf washers:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maun-Metric-Wad-Punch-1000/dp/B0001P0E14

Thanks for the info, I will get myself some.

Mike.

Gfish

I changed to a SS 98-505 gear sleeve for mine, went ahead and shimmed underneath it, added a red fiber drag washer on topa the drag stack and sanded the drag sleeve to make it all fit. Other than that, I hada use a larger under-gear washer to keep the dog in place.
Mostly stock,  this is a tough, solid reel. As Thorhammer mentioned: ball bearings, 5:1 gears. I think the stock gears are great, the ball bearings good. Also an aluminium spool and bars insteda posts---2real pluses for me.

Iown't think I'mina do anything else to it, it seems to be a great "almost" stock reel.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

handi2

Quote from: mike1010 on April 05, 2018, 06:17:23 PM
Quote from: Fish67 on April 05, 2018, 04:37:18 PM
You gentlemen are awesome! I appreciate all the information. Really helps me with these rebuilds.

McMaster-Carr sells very thin stainless washers that are good for this purpose.  PM me your snail mail address and will send a few.

Mike

From the same place I get brass shim washers for under the gear sleeves. They come in many thicknesses. Also bearing shim washers to shim 113H and up bearings. Also washers for the top of the spacing sleeve for the 113H and up. Even when you check the height of the drag stack it might be a little too short when ther reel is put together. I like it just right and you dont have to take the reel back apart.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

doradoben

Gfish,

I have a completely stock 506 that looks just like yours. It's been serviced every season and Cal's grease on the drag washers. I've fished it with 25 and 30 lb. line on an 8 ft. surface iron and bait rod for years. It has worked flawlessly.