looking for Bonito recipes for sushi, sashimi or poke. ** updated with pics **

Started by steelfish, April 05, 2018, 08:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

I am not a fan of eating bonito (having YT, grouper, orange mouth corvinas and spanish macks sierras always on hand)
but from time to time there is a nice bonito on the line, I would like to try it this time for sushi, sashimi or poke.

I love sashimi and normally use YT, grouper and scallops, do you guys know if bonito is good for sashimi or it has a strong flavor for that?

any poke or sashimi recipe that you guys use that make the flavor more mild?
I dont want to use a random recipe from the web and before using the same recipe I use for YT I wanted to check with you guys, dont want to waste the fish with an incorrect way to prepare it.

sidenote, I didnt bleed it when caught, right now I have the fillets on the freezer, it still with the blood line and skin.

this is the actual fish from last weekend
The Baja Guy

conchydong

I can't speak for Pacific Bonito but the Atlantic Bonito (which we rarely catch in South Florida) is fine for any Sushi, Sashimi or Poke recipe that you usually use for Tuna. The key is to bleed them properly and ice the hell out of them. I prefer them in Poke.

ReelFishingProblems

A kayak fishing podcast I listen to has a guy from SoCal talking about how Pacific Bonita is his favorite fish to make poke out of. He said bleed it and ice it

jigmaster501

They can be used for anything and don't have a parasite hazard as other small tunas do (no need for structured freezing to kill parasites).

It will need a surface pathogen elimination step prior to consuming raw.

Bonito are excellent eating fish.

festus

Nice fish!

I stumbled into this post by accident.  When you mentioned poke, I thought you meant poke sallet. Tony Joe White had a song about it.  Won't be long until it's in season.   ;D  You'll have to excuse me, I've lived my entire life in the hills and mountains of Tennessee and had never heard of sashimi or the poke you mention.  I've heard of sushi, pretty sure there are some sushi bars in big cities like Memphis, Nashville, and Atlanta but I've never seen any.   ;)

steelfish

Quote from: jigmaster501 on April 05, 2018, 11:10:11 PM
Bonito are excellent eating fish.

Quote from: conchydong on April 05, 2018, 10:31:12 PM
the Atlantic Bonito (which we rarely catch in South Florida) is fine for any Sushi, Sashimi or Poke recipe that you usually use for Tuna.  I prefer them in Poke.

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on April 05, 2018, 10:57:26 PM
.......how Pacific Bonita is his favorite fish to make poke out of.

well, seems like I'll eating bonito poke next weekend  ;D

thanks guys

The Baja Guy

Ron Jones

Whenever I fish Ensenada the guys on the boat ask for the Bonita for ceviche. It is FANTASTIC  smoked with a brine of honey, brown sugar and soy.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

MarkT

Bleed it and get rid of the blood line and dark meat. I've had it grilled and it was good!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

mrwilson99

Fillet right away and eat on boat! If not, bleed, fillet, dump in milk or smoke them! They are great when smoked!
David

Shark Hunter

I've never tried to eat them.
I know they are an extremely Bloody Fish.
Good Shark Bait, if the crabs don't pick them to bones.
I've reeled in many a Bonita Head that was nothing but a Skeleton.
Life is Good!

Ron Jones

Another thing.
They get mushy quick if you don't cool them down fast. Gut and gill, blood line and into a salted ice slurry is best.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

thorhammer

I was gonna recco ceviche and Ron beat me to it. We get them mixed in with false albacore (good only for bait) and Blackfin tuna. Good marinated and grilled fresh; if I had frozen it I would smoke it as these guys say (about the only thing to do with frozen king mackerel as well).

Fishy247

QuoteFillet right away and eat on boat!

X2! We used to do "quivering sashimi" when I worked in Marina Del Rey. As soon as it's landed, bleed it out in a bucket of seawater, then fillet it and remove any dark meat. Slice into thicker pieces than you might normally do for sashimi. When you pop it into your mouth, often the meat is still twitching slightly, hence the name. Definitely NOT for everyone! Hahaha... But it's very tasty and quite the experience.  ;D

If this ain't your cup of tea, make sure to bleed it well and get it iced down ASAP. Bonito goes to mush very quickly! Properly cared for, it's excellent for sashimi, smoking, and the grill.

-Mike

melkapule

Sam Choy is a cook in Hawaii and has some videos on Youtube that are worth watching. Search Sam Choy poke.

Foodland supermarket is one place that sells various poke and sashimi. Take a look at Foodland.com as they share many local recipes.

steelfish

Quote from: Fishy247 on April 06, 2018, 05:02:42 PM
[Bonito goes to mush very quickly!

Quote from: Ron Jones on April 06, 2018, 01:17:44 PM
Another thing.
They get mushy quick if you don't cool them down fast.

well, thats the main reason I didnt like it that much, because of it gets mushy very quick its ofter used for ceviche and fish meatballs but I actually took 3x a Sierra (spanish mack) over a Bonito for those plates.

the fish was iced inmediatly and the fillets were cleaned in Iced salty water so, I will try them as poke in few days, will get to you guys with my findings.
The Baja Guy