looking for Bonito recipes for sushi, sashimi or poke. ** updated with pics **

Started by steelfish, April 05, 2018, 08:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

conchydong

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 06, 2018, 06:06:17 AM
I've never tried to eat them.
I know they are an extremely Bloody Fish.
Good Shark Bait, if the crabs don't pick them to bones.
I've reeled in many a Bonita Head that was nothing but a Skeleton.

Daron, you were probably using Little Tunny which we call Bonita(o) in Florida. Although some eat them they are generally discarded or used for bait. The Atlantic Bonito which has teeth is similar to the Pacific Bonito that Alex is referring to. Skip Jack are also eaten and quite good IMO. They are used for canned Tuna worldwide.

Scott

swill88

Quote from: conchydong on April 06, 2018, 07:51:23 PM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 06, 2018, 06:06:17 AM
I've never tried to eat them.
I know they are an extremely Bloody Fish.
Good Shark Bait, if the crabs don't pick them to bones.
I've reeled in many a Bonita Head that was nothing but a Skeleton.

Daron, you were probably using Little Tunny which we call Bonita(o) in Florida. Although some eat them they are generally discarded or used for bait. The Atlantic Bonito which has teeth is similar to the Pacific Bonito that Alex is referring to. Skip Jack are also eaten and quite good IMO. They are used for canned Tuna worldwide.

Scott

Got me laughing Scott, thanks!

Steve

Fishy247

wailua boy

I might try searing it but most sushi, poke and sashimi will use fresh caught fish once frozen; I would just grill or fry.  

SoCalAngler

SF,
There two types of bonito in the Sea of Cortez. One is the Pacific Bonito and the other the Striped Bonito. I believe the one in the pic is the Striped Bonito because of the teeth shown. The main way I tell the difference between the two is that the SB has more prominent teeth than the PB.

The SB has a lighter colored meat before they are cooked. Their meat color can vary from a light red, pinkish or almost white. If your going to eat bonito these are the ones to try.

The PB has a much more darker meat color, from a dark red to red/brown. These fish I toss back or keep a couple to cut up for bait. I would not eat one of these.

On the advice from one of my Mexican buddies fishing with me one day we kept a few SB's to smoke. The fish were bled, gutted and iced down right away. When I got home I filleted them right away and put them into the brine while they still were cold. Smoked them the next day and ate one piece. The rest of the smoked fish went to my friends house because I could not force down another piece.
I will not be smoking these again.

The SB as well as our barracuda get a bad rap, I have eaten both while on a boat and liked them but like others have said handling and freshness is key. If this is not done right these fish will not eat well.

Shark Hunter

Thanks for Correcting me Scott.
Florida Bo,Bo's are only for bait.
I've never caught a damn thing with them.
But I still keep trying. ;)
Life is Good!

Swami805

Used to eat them sometimes but don't see many big enough anymore. Bleed them and on ice to cool them quick. Fillet and cut out all the dark meat, dunk them in Italian salad dressing and put them on the grill. Cook until rare and pretty good if not over cooked. It's all about the effort on the front end,they go to mush in a hurry if not cooled quickly.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

steelfish

ok guys, I told the wifey to stay in TV room and leave me the kitchen all for myself.

read many recipes for poke and for my surprise they were not much different than my current "special" recipe I learned in Puerto Vallarta few years ago, so, I took some tips from the ones I read online and use part of my own recipe, nothing special or secret ingredients, lets call this a Mexican Poke (because of the serrano chile pepper and served over a tostada "corn fried tortilla"

First you need to have your clean Bonito fillets

I put the fillets 10 min in cold water to make them more firm and cut them 3/4" with a sharp knife

just because I have some in my freezer I also filleted 3 big Scallops and add some lemon juice to them

add one white onion in thin Julienne cut and mix everything

add some Serrano peppers after they were roasted on the frying pan along with some mix of spicies and sesame oil, soy sauce, etc, etc,
at this stage I put the bowl on the fridge for 15 minutes just to leave the flavors to get into the fish.

final touch was 4 chopped green onions

money shots

Poke tostada, dont forget Avocado

Poke with tostitos / nachos

to my surprise the Bonito tasted really good, or it was the scallop? or both?  ;D ::)
I will make it again for sure, no more given away bonitos on my side  :D ;D

PS: before eating those tostadas I put on them some spicy hot sauce for sea-food ("amor hot sauce" or "valentina hot sauce") cuz I like my sea food spicy hot but once they were all covered in hot sauce they didnt looked good for the pics LOL

The Baja Guy

thorhammer