Pennbassadeur 10 - baby steps

Started by Decker, April 10, 2018, 09:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Quote from: Decker on April 11, 2018, 04:31:57 AM
 Just saw that ProChallenger is releasing a red and a silver 29L-100 spool.  Gotta have a red one one for my 180!   http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=25031

I was gonna suggest this but I see you're already savvy. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Decker

Quote from: thorhammer on April 11, 2018, 02:21:28 PM
Joe, i just reread original post...I used mine flounder fishing also. If you are soaking bait for the species you described, you created as good a reel as you'll need. You might consider the 24-310 handle that has the bigger football knob. A  nice upgrade for cranking back lead across the bottom if you don't want to go up to 24-66. I like the 10-66 star.  

I have some of those 24-310 handles from a Seaboy lot, and will try one.   The thing about bigger handles... you get more leverage, but the larger cranking diameter means it is more work to crank fast from the wrist.   With the slow retrieve ratios especially, my tendency is to use a small handle.   But, no doubt, if I'm fighting a 20lb striper or 15 lb bluefish on a 10, the bigger handle is going to be more comfortable.  Those 24-155 old-time (hand lathed?) football knobs are like candy too -- butterscotch, cherry, lime, rootbeer  -- I can't resist them.   ;D

thorhammer

310 and 155 are about the same throw, but 310 has the big knob. Agree, the -66 isn't a fast crank. The butterscotch to me has the most curb appeal of any knob....that's what I set on my Senator line up, 1/0 - 16/0. And I put them on all my old maroon nine's, With ole-skool cool Stren gold, and maroon 500's. 

mo65

Quote from: Decker on April 11, 2018, 02:51:32 PM
 The thing about bigger handles... you get more leverage, but the larger cranking diameter means it is more work to crank fast from the wrist.   With the slow retrieve ratios especially, my tendency is to use a small handle.  

We must be thinking alike, because my 180 has the same handle you put on yours Joe, the #24-85. I also used a #10-60 drag star. I thought you might like my budget ring restoration too. They were so trashed I used wrinkle paint...sheer genius...HA! :D

steelfish

Quote from: mo65 on April 11, 2018, 04:55:43 PM
I thought you might like my budget ring restoration too. They were so trashed I used wrinkle paint...sheer genius...HA! :D[/color]

pure geniuses !!
The Baja Guy

Decker

I think I got the original impulse to try those handles from you, Mo.

Looks good; will it stick?   Someday I'm going to try coating chrome parts, and hope to learn from everyone else's experience before I do ;)

mo65

Quote from: Decker on April 11, 2018, 06:09:33 PM

Looks good; will it stick?   Someday I'm going to try coating chrome parts, and hope to learn from everyone else's experience before I do ;)

That paint has been on there for 2 years. I've fished the reel 4 or 5 times, so I reckon it's stuck on pretty good. The key is to rough the surface...chrome is like a mirror...kinda smooth. The only substance known to man that will stick to shiny chrome is corrosion.  ;)

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

thorhammer

Quote from: mo65 on April 11, 2018, 06:30:20 PM

That paint has been on there for 2 years. I've fished the reel 4 or 5 times, so I reckon it's stuck on pretty good. The key is to rough the surface...chrome is like a mirror...kinda smooth. The only substance known to man that will stick to shiny chrome is corrosion.  ;)

Mike, how's that paint holding up?

mo65

Quote from: thorhammer on October 27, 2019, 12:34:06 PM
Quote from: mo65 on April 11, 2018, 06:30:20 PM

Mike, how's that paint holding up?

Fantastic John...not a single chip yet. The spool I painted on that narrowed 3/0 is holding up great too. Neither reel has been fished a lot, but both have been put in situations where a nice scratch or chip could happen. It's funny...the walk from the truck bed to the rod holders is where most cosmetic damage occurs! :-[

thorhammer

Mike, this one kicked back up since Alasken is asking about Mag 10's- turns out I gave him exact verbiage i gave Joe three years ago....

Back to you- after now five years, how is the paint on the rings?

mo65

Quote from: thorhammer on April 19, 2021, 04:32:37 PM
Mike, this one kicked back up since Alasken is asking about Mag 10's- turns out I gave him exact verbiage i gave Joe three years ago....

Back to you- after now five years, how is the paint on the rings?

That paint still looks like new John! 8)

Decker

Black beauty rings.  Why not? 

I've been wanting to try Plasti Dip on crusty reel parts.   

Howdy, Mo!