Kunnan no. CG7173 6 foot graphite spinner.

Started by nagant, March 27, 2019, 12:53:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nagant

Never heard of this brand but really like it so far.  Should be a great walleye rod. Is the 2 piece connection factory? I'm sure it is but never seen one like it (steel pin).
Brice

foakes

Excellent rods!

They were made in Japan by the same folks who make golf club shafts.

The back-story goes that they were such high quality rods — and the company could not compete with the cheaper rods coming out of Asia — so they decided instead of cheapening their products — they would just continue to make high quality golf club shafts.

May be just a story — I don't know — however, I have heard it from (3) different fellows in the business over the past 18 years. I have had a couple of their 4-piece pack rods — and when they are assembled, you cannot tell it is not a one-piece by the action.  If anyone ever gets a chance to pick up one of these — they should...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

nagant

Tried looking the company up but really gets foggy. California or south Carolina, fire at factory or just quit making them. Anyway its one of of those rods that just feels right.
Brice

philaroman

heard Kunnans were really good within their price range, but never tried
I really like spigot ferules, but never saw a steel one w/ double bumpers

nagant

I'm not sure about the connection either but found this so its right or their both fixed by the same guy :)
Brice

Swami805

I remember those, had a good reputation, a good quality rod. A couple of my buddies had their surf rods
Do what you can with that you have where you are

CapeFish

I had one, great rod, they went off the market > 30years ago??? Also heard the story of the factory burning down from the tackle shop in Johannesburg where I bought it.

theswimmer

I have a 3 wt 8 ft fly rod that was my Dads.
Quality  is way up on the scale . Very nice rod .
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Fishy247

I've got one of their saltwater boat rods. It was my very first saltwater rod. Very nice feel with a parabolic action.

foakes

Now I do recall something about a fire at the manufacturing or distribution center — and they decided to not continue with the fishing part of their business.

Too bad — these are excellent rods.  They were not inexpensive — but they were not overly expensive, IMO.

Just likely a little too much quality for the price point they were competing with.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Decker

I had a 9 foot Kunnan steelhead rod that was my favorite for casting light bucktails in the surf.  Great rod.

Reelmeneer

Kunnan, well made rods. Had a couple for carpfishing. Loved them! Very good build and quality!

whalebreath

I have three that I use for Coho-outstanding sticks.

Also used one of their big game units on a South American trip years ago it did serious duty every day and was a gem.

Now there's a company you might run across called 'Kunan' out of Taiwan IIRC not the same thing at all.

happyhooker

Yeah, a bit of an old time (like over 30 yrs.) name.  Sometimes see it spelled "Kunan".

Frank