Question: Spinning Rod Build

Started by Rivverrat, April 11, 2018, 12:01:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

This is what I have done on a couple of ultra lite bass rods I built for others. Have also used for conventional lay out. I lay a thin layer of epoxy over the right where the guide will be placed & going no wider than the guide foot is long. Just a thin enough layer that the foot doesn't contact the blank. I let the epoxy get tacky then carefully place the guide on top of it straight then wrap.

This has worked very well on rods using up to 60 lb. line for me. It is very possible & has happened that guides can damage a blank if not properly prepped or wrong thread tension for the wrap... Jeff

Rivverrat

Still not by any means a definitive thing. After more testing on 8'-9' blanks & placing the guide out further than normal Ive yet to see a huge loss in power while pulling on something  stationary. Also have not noticed a big diff in the bend in the rod. Casting does improve.

Different blanks could show different results. Every blank can have it's own rules regarding how it might respond  to different lay outs. So none of what I've stated is or should be taken as hard fact.

Other wise It's like trying to come up with a guide lay out chart that works for all blanks. Which I think is an illusion that can be loaded up behind the tractor & spread out so the grass can get green.... bunch of crap & entirely not possible... Jeff

steelfish

Quote from: Rivverrat on April 14, 2018, 06:09:25 PM
FANTASTIC STUFF !! Cant wait now for my Black Hole 10' surf to get here to start work on it... Jeff

Jeff, I didnt recall that you were working on a Black hole surf rod

did you ever build it?
The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

No not yet. Been to busy with other stuff. Hope to get it done soon.