12/0 upgrades ?

Started by Polukaimaui, April 12, 2018, 07:19:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polukaimaui

Hello guys I'm new to this forum.
I've got a 12/0 senator with a crome over brass spool .
The drag has been backing off during fights with fish . This reel is my work horse.  I need it to function top shape. After looking around on here , I've seen some awesome upgrades and builds .  It seems like all the good parts for these bigger reels come out in batches. Drag inserts , stainless parts ... not to mention double dog customizing .
Anybody willing to help with any of this , would be much appreciated ! 
Thanks in advance
Capt. Ryan Hall

Alto Mare

Hello Polukaimaui , if you wanted to make your reel functional again it is doable, but you will need to post a pic of the drag stack.
This is simple, you should be able to pull them off without opening the reel.  Just try to keep everything as they are and carefully lay them on a bench.

If you wanted it upgraded and others don't get to you, I do upgrades as well, but have 2-3 weeks turn around.

By the way, I'm actually the guy that came up with the double dogs upgrade and showed others how it's done, but it was a long time ago and has been forgotten by most :).

So, see  which direction you want to go with the reel and we'll help you out. If no one else gets back to you or you wanted me to customize it for you, send me a PM and well discuss details.

Welcome aboard.

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Decker

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 12, 2018, 09:19:31 AM
By the way, I'm actually the guy that came up with the double dogs upgrade and showed others how it's done, but it was a long time ago and has been forgotten by most :).

It's true; Alto Mare is the dog-doubler par excellence: https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aalantani.com+alto+mare+double+dog

Three se7ens

I do have one or two of the 12/0 insert drag kits in stock.  I also stock stainless steel and titanium handle arms for the 12/0. 

Polukaimaui

Thanks guys ! @three se7ens I sent you a pm
Capt. Ryan Hall

Gman_WC

We need before and after Pic's!

-gary
Walnut Creek, CA

Polukaimaui

All right , I got my drag insert . ( thank you Motive Fabrications )
Quick question . Should I use Cal's grease on the carbon washers ? Or run them dry ?
Capt. Ryan Hall

Tightlines667

Quote from: Polukaimaui on April 24, 2018, 07:03:22 PM
All right , I got my drag insert . ( thank you Motive Fabrications )
Quick question . Should I use Cal's grease on the carbon washers ? Or run them dry ?

Use Cals.  I like to rub it into both sides of each washer good, then wipe the excess off.  Some folks just got it in, and the pressure from use will push any excess out.  I don't like extra grease because it attracts dirt and debris.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Van

Decided to fix my 12/0 that I was going to sell 4 years ago.  lol  Anyway I need a handle/arm/screw,drag kit, and left side bearing and was thinking of maybe getting a stainless pawl/dog/bars.  Anybody selling these?