My first Senator

Started by festus, April 13, 2018, 08:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

The last few weeks I've acquired several different Penns in size, shape, and weight.  Surfmasters, Delmars, Sea Boys, Sea Scamps, Jigmaster, Squidder, Beachmaster, etc.

Learned about level winds with the 9, 209, and 309.

Learned about spiral bars with the 350 Leveline.

Learned about quick takeapart and thumb screw rotation with the Squidder and Surfmaster.

So before I start tearing down this Senator is there any thing different I should expect?

festus

BTW, I forgot to mention it's a 4/0.  Similar in size to my Long Beach 68.

festus

And I forgot to mention the anti reverse only works sometimes.

Also, there is an unfamiliar washer under the star drag.  ???

festus

Yup, the dog spring is shot.

festus

As I mentioned earlier, I know nothing about Senators, but something looks fishy about the drag stack order?  Plus the eccentric lever is upside down.

Swami805

If you did the smaller penns you'll be fine. Not a lot of difference just bigger. The drag stack will be a similar sequence than the smaller penns just more of them. should be a stickied tutorial for one or one that's close enough. Nice reel too
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Keta

Quote from: festus on April 13, 2018, 09:02:54 PMAlso, there is an unfamiliar washer under the star drag.  ???

It is a spring washer.  Your drag stack is messed up too.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

basto

Your drag is the same as what came in my 3/0. a  5 stack. This is the way it should be.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

festus

Thanks fellows, looks like everything is here.  Got her cleaned up but I still need to do some work on the frame posts.  Might find time to get it back together late tomorrow afternoon.

My a/r dog is a little different than your's, Basto.  I have a few reels junked out in plastic bags, can probably find a spring.

BTW, what typical fishing situation is a 4/0 Senator used fo in saltwaterr?  Like my big Long Beach, really it's overkill for freshwater fishing.  There are some mighty big catfish in Tennessee waters but I haven't gotten one over 42 lbs.  TWRA is getting lake sturgeon re-introduced.  There was one stranded in a backwater of the Emory River several years that went 102 lb they rescued.  As of now, there is no record of sturgeon in the state awards book but there have been a few around 8-10 lbs caught.

Bill B

Senators are a piece of cake compared to doing a level line or a 350.  The ar dog has me stumped.  Never seen anything like that.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

mo65

Yeah Bill...that AR dog looks suspect Festus...no wonder she don't engage half the time. Let me check my 4/0 parts stash, might have correct dog, I prolly have some better posts I can give you too if you're interested. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

mo65

Yep, I have the AR dog and some posts. They ain't perfect, but they're free! ;D

bhale1

I love this place.....good people😀
Brett

festus

Thanks big time, Mo, I'll take them.  The Penn schematic lists the a/r dog as part no 15-113h, but you know as much as they do, so it'll work.  I can at least reimburse you for shipping.  The 309 parts list says the same dog spring fits my Senator.  I have plenty of 9, 209, and 309 parts and am accumulating some 85 and 285 parts.  Thanks again, I'll pm my address. This reel cleaned up fairly well.

mo65

Quote from: festus on April 14, 2018, 01:18:47 AM
The Penn schematic lists the a/r dog as part no 15-113h.

I think maybe you were viewing the 113H schematic Festus...I double checked and the old 4/0 schematic calls for the #15-99. Here's a link to the schematic:

https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/113.pdf

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"