ABU 3500C ?

Started by Keta, April 13, 2018, 09:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I just picked up a ABU 3500C at a sale for $5.00 and it has 1 small drag washer, is there a gear that will take a multi washer drag that fits this reel?

56** and 65** ABU reels are common here but I have never seen a 3500 until today, it will be a back up kokanee/trout reel.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

Quote from: Keta on April 13, 2018, 09:43:09 PM
I just picked up a ABU 3500C at a sale for $5.00 and it has 1 small drag washer, is there a gear that will take a multi washer drag that fits this reel?

56** and 65** ABU reels are common here but I have never seen a 3500 until today, it will be a back up kokanee/trout reel.

Wow an abu 3500
I would like to are some pics
The Baja Guy

mhc

Quote from: Keta on April 13, 2018, 09:43:09 PM

Nice pick up for $5 Lee, I'm pretty sure I read the 3500C was only manufactured for 1 year - 1984 I think. Not sure about a main that will take a three washer drag though.
I had a quick look at one I've got, the main is smaller than the 4500C - 6500C mains that take three drag washers, 3500 on the left & 6500 on the right;

The 1000 main is smaller again (and only takes one washer without grooves for eared washers anyway), 1000 main on top;

The Morrum M3600C main is pretty close to right size but has a different tooth cut and the pinion has a different connection to the spool so you couldn't swap both.
3500 main on top, 3500C pinion on the left, morrum on the right:

Thought about trying a custom set of thin washers until I looked at the gear sleeve and the flat sections stop at the same height as the top of the main - keyed washers won't fit unless the sleeve flats are extended. the gear doesn't have grooves for eared washers either.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Keta

Thanks for the info Mike, if it was only made 1 year I will keep this little reel stock.  The serial # starts with 84.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Keta

I "priced" this reel on fle-Bay and was shocked, over $140 starting price for one that is rougher than my new kokanee reel.  I will take care of it but it WILL be fished. 

Mark Twain

Keta

Ollie Damon,s in Portland, Oregon had parts for this reel in stock.

Mark Twain

Whit

I've had one of these reels bought new back in the day.  There is a lot of interchangeability with 2500c parts.  Great reel!

thorhammer

somewhat rare bird. I buy a $5 Abu just to have a spare handle....

tincanary

How have you been liking the 3500C?  I just picked one up for $20 in decent shape but have yet to use it.  Is it a good caster?

Keta

Kokanee is a late spring/early summer fishery here, I will use it in a few months.

Mark Twain

tincanary

Quote from: Keta on February 17, 2019, 01:45:36 PM
Kokanee is a late spring/early summer fishery here, I will use it in a few months.

Which rod are you pairing it with?  I have a 7'6" light power moderate action that should be a good match.  Thinking about using it for brook trout when I backpack the UP of Michigan. 

Keta

Quote from: tincanary on February 17, 2019, 05:07:18 PM
Which rod are you pairing it with?  I have a 7'6" light power moderate action that should be a good match.  Thinking about using it for brook trout when I backpack the UP of Michigan. 

Not sure yet, I have several to chose from and I'm considering building another 7' 6-10 pound rod.  For this reel I'll most likely use one of my "heavy" kokanee rods (8-12) and use it for mackinaw too.

Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Lee,
Let me know a good weekend for kokanee fishing, I've never done that. I'll come down.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Quote from: Ron Jones on February 18, 2019, 11:58:40 PM
Lee,
Let me know a good weekend for kokanee fishing, I've never done that. I'll come down.
The Man

Will do Ron.

Mark Twain

tincanary

I should have parts for my 3500C this weekend.  Hopefully I ordered the correct drag washers.  From what I read around the web, some of the 2500C parts are interchangeable so I went ahead and ordered the 3902 and 10271 Carbontex drag washers along with some stainless 5x11x4 spool bearings.  I also have a double bearing 5152 cog wheel sitting in my parts bin I may use, but I'll try it with the factory cog first.