spooling my new shimano torium 14??

Started by Eddie Hernandez, April 16, 2018, 03:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Hernandez

Hi All-received a shimano torium 14(gold model) as a gift and would like to spool it up with braid, I was given a spool of 40lb power pro to go with it. I have never fished using braid and strictly fished mono using my penn reels so this is a first for me. I have looked at a few youtube videos regarding the correct way to spool braid and still a bit confused..Even saw a video in which silicone tape was used with no mono? My buddy who gave me the reel informed to back the reel with mono first?, but im being told that is a dated method these days? I'm almost to the point to just spool mono to it and go fishing. Any help to spool this reel correctly would be appreciated thx

nelz

I prefer to use a mono backing with a lighter # test. It serves two purposes; 1- keeps the braid from slipping and 2 - breaks easier in case you hook a monster that's gonna spool you and keep going!  :o

MarkT

I'd put a wrap of tape on the spool to give the spectra something to grip.  Then spool the spectra tight on the spool.  Top with whatever top short or leader you want. On a 14 that'd probably be between 15 and 25#.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Swami805

I just put a few wraps of tape and use straight braid. Either way works
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Tiddlerbasher

I used to use self amalgamating tape but now I tie braid directly to the spool. I use a 4/5 turn arbor knot with a long tag - it doesn't slip.
Braid is idealy wound on with a spooling machine of some kind to provide sufficient drag (8-10lb). Loosely wound braid can dig into itself and cause grief - been there done that ::)

Caranx

I would do the same as what your friend advised.

Eddie Hernandez

Thanks for all the replies!!! much appreciated!!

best

ed