Where to find part for 2052dc?

Started by JNG3, April 17, 2018, 12:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Here's a Shakespeare date code chart you fellows can use to help date those reels. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

PacRat

Thanks Mo,
I went back and added dates to my previous post with known examples. So far we only have samples from 3 date codes. DA (1970) has one of each and EE (1966) has four metal. So a DA may be a crap-shoot unless you can confirm before you buy. Does anyone know of other date codes between EE and DA?
-Mike

happyhooker

Not sure about the 2052, but the 2071 has a pinion ball bearing too; size is 7/8 in. X 3/8 in. X 9/32 in.  That size just happens to be a standard size BB & you can buy 'em lots of places, prices run around a buck or up, depending on how much quality you think a 99 cent BB has.  I wonder if all the Maroons had the same size BB?  An option if you don't care for a nylon race BB.

Frank

PacRat

Thanks Frank, that's good to know. I haven't taken it that far down yet because once the old waxy grease softened up everything is working really good. I have the first phase of Tommy's JB Weld fix done. In a day or two I'll remove the straw form and shape it. Once I know how well the drag and spool are working out, I'll do the whole thing. The bearings spin really nice but they may be a little loose...probably from nylon races. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
-Mike

oc1

I don't know the reel, but does it really matter if the bushing is cracked?  When in use, isn't it supported all the way around?
-steve

mo65

Quote from: oc1 on July 21, 2019, 05:00:31 AM
I don't know the reel, but does it really matter if the bushing is cracked?  When in use, isn't it supported all the way around?
-steve

I think maybe if you screwed the drag knob down on the cracked sleeve, it would spread and rub on the spool.

Quote from: PacRat on July 21, 2019, 02:51:31 AM
The bearings spin really nice but they may be a little loose...probably from nylon races. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
-Mike

Not sure about how these nylon dudes will react, but I just restored a Heddon that had great spinning bearings that felt a little sloppy in hand. Once put back in the reel all tolerance issues disappeared though.

oc1

Quote from: mo65 on July 21, 2019, 02:48:49 PM
I think maybe if you screwed the drag knob down on the cracked sleeve, it would spread and rub on the spool.[/color]
A plastic sleeve is going to compress a bit whether it's cracked or not.  Sounds like one of those Shakespearean fatal flaws.
-steve

happyhooker

With reels like this having a ball bearing on the pinion shaft (or elsewhere, for that matter), if you haven't checked lately, it can pay to take a peek at the bearing, even if the reel seems to turn properly.  The balls, being steel, can rust solid to the cage (if it's steel) and/or the race (if it is steel).  The reel may appear to turn OK, but the shaft may just be spinning on the inside of the inner race if the bearing is rusted.

Frank

Midway Tommy

Quote from: PacRat on July 20, 2019, 05:26:15 AM

Thanks Tommy, you posted while I was typing and your timeline fits. I suspect that the DAs may have had metal at first, then plastic as the parts ran out. Have you fished your JB Weld fix yet?...Maybe not with all those Cardinals you have.

-Mike

Been gone for a couple of days.

No, I haven't fished it but the repair is much stronger than the original plastic portion of the bushing. I stressed it heavily to make sure it was better than original. If I didn't exclusively fish Cardinals I wouldn't hesitate for a second to fish the JB weld repaired 2052. The problem I see with trying to fish one with a crack is you never know when a piece might fall off when changing or removing the spool. Plus, the flat sides in the two metal washers need to be held in place on that portion of the bushing for the drag to work correctly. If a piece of that plastic breaks off those washers won't be able to do their designated job.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

PacRat

Steve,
The following photos will show why the plastic must be repaired (in most cases). The first photo will show the cracks. The worst was circumferential so the tip where the keyed drag washers index was free to spin around the shaft like a bushing. As you can see in the photos there were also longitudinal cracks which could possibly loosen the plastic part enough to let the whole thing spin on the shaft. You probably wouldn't realize it until you had a big fish on it.
I removed less material than Tommy did. I got rid of the tip which was more difficult than expected because it was captive on the groove machined into the shaft. The plastic was actually pretty tough and did not fall to pieces when I removed it.
I then used a dental drill in a dremel to give the shaft and plastic remnant some tooth for the JB Weld to grab on to.
I found a green straw in the wife's car that was a perfect fit. I'll shape and install this in a couple of days and let you guys know the results.

Midway Tommy

Looking good, Mike! Mine was crack almost exactly like yours. I cut mine back farther on purpose to give the JB Weld a larger area to bite the shaft. As a result of the pressure of those washers on the flat area on the bushing I wanted as much JB weld in one piece as I could get without affecting the click gear portion. There really isn't any stress on the click gear other than spool spin and the click spring when line is taken out. You should be good with your repair but worst case scenario, if for some strange reason it doesn't hold, you can always take it off & go further down the shaft. Go slow with filing the flats to get a nice clean fit on the washers.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

PacRat

So I had a little set-back. When I filed the flats into the JB Weld I discovered some voids in the epoxy. I half way anticipated this but I was too lazy to set up a vacuum chamber for such a small job. I just filled the voids and re-shaped them. I don't think this little ultralight reel will ever see more than 2lbs drag anyway. You'll notice a green sleeve in the photos. I cut that before I started so I would know how far to file the flats from the end. I just slipped it on after removing the original form. Thank you Tommy for the idea, it saved me a lot of time and trouble. I don't think I would perform this repair on a larger reel but I also wouldn't expect to find a plastic part there in a larger reel. I haven't spooled it up yet but I'm planning on 4 lb mono. So far it feels smooth. I'll come back to report on this post if it ever fails.
-Mike

PacRat

Thanks Guys...especially Tommy and Mo

Ron Jones

That is a lot of work to get a spinner up and running. Very well done.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

mo65

Great job makin' that ol' girl fishable again Mike. Like you said, the work will hold up just fine to the task. Enjoy that classic! 8)