Type of Loctite

Started by Scattergun2570, April 18, 2018, 07:29:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scattergun2570

I am currently servicing a reel that I couldn't help notice had blue Loctite on the screws for the oscillating slider. I want to use the same thing when I reassemble..but I am not sure which Loctite is the removable one,and which is the permanent. Thanks

Chuck750ss

Purple and blue. Purple is for things like adjustable screws. Low strength. Blue is medium strength and is what is most widely used. Red is high strength. Has to have heat applied to remove screw or bolt. In other words, don't used the red unless you have something you absolutely,positively never want to come loose.

Scattergun2570

Quote from: Chuck750ss on April 18, 2018, 10:54:14 AM
Purple and blue. Purple is for things like adjustable screws. Low strength. Blue is medium strength and is what is most widely used. Red is high strength. Has to have heat applied to remove screw or bolt. In other words, don't used the red unless you have something you absolutely,positively never want to come loose.

Do you know what number the blue is?

George6308

Sold under two sources: Loctite & Permatex. Both make the blue thread locker. Any auto or industrial supply or hardware store should carry it.
There is also a green thread locker, medium strength, that creeps into assembled joints.
The blue or purple (for small screws) should work for reels. I would be inclined to use purple due to screw size.

Chuck750ss

Quote from: Scattergun2570 on April 18, 2018, 02:31:10 PM

Do you know what number the blue is?

Scattergun2570

Quote from: George6308 on April 18, 2018, 04:38:49 PM
Sold under two sources: Loctite & Permatex. Both make the blue thread locker. Any auto or industrial supply or hardware store should carry it.
There is also a green thread locker, medium strength, that creeps into assembled joints.
The blue or purple (for small screws) should work for reels. I would be inclined to use purple due to screw size.

Yes,got the Permatex at the local hardware store,,didn't have Loctite.

George6308

You should be good to go. I use the blue on rifle scope mount screws, they are 6-40 & 6-48.

handi2

You more than likely did not have to remove that screw. Especially if its a Shimano. When the pinion gear and bearing are removed the spool shaft and slider will come out the rear of the body.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

kmstorm64

Not just a little heat either, I think I saw some information where it had to be above either 600 or 800 degrees for it to break.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

Chuck750ss

Quote from: kmstorm64 on September 07, 2018, 09:19:13 PM

Not just a little heat either, I think I saw some information where it had to be above either 600 or 800 degrees for it to break.
My experience has been 400 degrees will make it turn loose.

kmstorm64

Quote from: Chuck750ss on September 14, 2018, 02:18:46 AM
Quote from: kmstorm64 on September 07, 2018, 09:19:13 PM

My experience has been 400 degrees will make it turn loose.

Knew it was up there, but could not remember what it was. I just knew it would most likely melt plastic on a rifle before it released it. 
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!