just got me two Michell reels I would like to fix 306s and 406

Started by steelfish, April 24, 2018, 07:36:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

here is the Mitchell 306A

seems that need lots of TLC to get the ligth greenish and bit corrosion out along with a new spring for the bail system, but what needs more attention is the spool, it has some corrosion and nicks on the tips of the spool skirts, I dont know how bad that would be for the line after many cast, if is too expensive or hard to get a new spool I will just clean it and leave it for shelf queen, but it would be cool to use it for some triggerfish.

The Baja Guy

steelfish

next is the mitchell 406 high speed.

that seems that it just need the bail spring and a deep cleaning/lub job.

The Baja Guy

happyhooker

Nice saves.  Sometimes, you can sand/file out the nicks on the spool edges; I suppose if they are too deep, that wouldn't end up right.  Not sure if a little JB Weld, mixed up & place in the nicks, then sanded after drying would work on bigger nicks/gouges.

Frank

festus

Those are built internally similar to their little brothers, the Mitchell 308 and 408.  Nothing like the innards of a Mitchell 300.  Gotta watch out for the pinion gear/bearings, if you take them apart I hear they're a pain to get back together.  Spools should be plentiful, anywhere from 6-8 bucks used or a little more for NOS.