I'm selling rod guide wrappers...

Started by The Fishing Hobby, April 24, 2018, 11:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundancer

there is an issue 'following you' on eBay - i added the item as a 'watched' item instead

thanks
Steve
Miles to go.....,

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: sundancer on August 23, 2018, 02:19:17 PM
there is an issue 'following you' on eBay - i added the item as a 'watched' item instead

thanks
Steve
It could be a temporary glitch with eBay or they may some sort of limit on the number of sellers someone can follow. Maybe try again later?
For that particular item (the wrapping jig) it would be best to watch it because I don't relist it, I just update the quantity as I make more.

I plan on designing and selling a power wrapper in the future so it would be nice if people follow me if possible if they were interested in new stuff I put out and I do sell some fishing gear as well.

I also will be posting on YouTube as new things come out. People can can subscribe to my channel (it doesn't cost anything, but you do need a YouTube account which is free to create) by clicking this link:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqne7f-bMbuFFlnKETAesiA

I have started working on a thread shuttle/carriage that can be used on a power wrapper as well for Reel 224 (Joe). I may start offering those as well if they turn out to work well for him.

Here is what I have so far, but it isn't completed yet.

thorhammer

I made almost that exact thing for my self some years ago, single spool, and it worked pretty well. Good luck on your endeavor.

John

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: thorhammer on August 23, 2018, 02:52:57 PM
I made almost that exact thing for my self some years ago, single spool, and it worked pretty well. Good luck on your endeavor.

John
Thank you!

Dominick

Thanks for joining and welcome.  I don't wrap but looking at your set-up I might change my mind.  Especially if you come up with an electric winder.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: Dominick on August 23, 2018, 06:05:13 PM
Thanks for joining and welcome.  I don't wrap but looking at your set-up I might change my mind.  Especially if you come up with an electric winder.  Dominick
Thanks! I enjoy doing rod work. It is relaxing to me.

sundancer

Ok

Was able to save you as a watcher vendor..

Thanks
S
Miles to go.....,

Reel 224

Here is some finished pictures of the up grade shuttle that Mark made for my wrapping lathe. Works really great!

Joe

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

The Fishing Hobby

Mark, Kevin...close enough  ;D
Well, I didn't know that roller wouldn't fit on you bench! Maybe it isn't needed? So it is working out good then? Looks right at home there!

Reel 224

Kevin; I'm sorry I screwed up you name ;D. Hey you know I'm 72 and I have CRS. So back to the shuttle. It works like a dream but don't worry about the support because I have the lathe close to me at the edge of my work bench. If someone wants the lathe moved back they can use the counter wheal as an extra way to hold the shuttle. As is on mine the shuttle moves along smooth as silk and the setup as far as the thread goes is excellent controlled with tension with the spring wire, only thing is in the future I would make it an 1"or 2" longer so as to have more back up control.

Thanks for the great work and turn around time, it was excellent.............................Joe     
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

The Fishing Hobby

No problem, I was just giving you a hard time! Sounds like it worked out great! I would have liked to have made the tension rods longer but I just wasn't sure how much space you had to work with there (since I don't own a lathe like that) and I didn't want them to be in the way. It looks like longer rods wouldn't have been a problem. Thanks for the help with the dimensions and all of the questions I had about it. I took the measurements for the roller guide placement and I could make more based off of that design if anyone else wants one.

akadashoe

Interesting setup.
What's the purpose of the white wheel, and the connector between the 2 spool carriers?

Reel 224

The purpose of the white wheel is if the base was set a bit back then the wheel would support the carriage and move along smoothly. The riser on the base is the thread carrier and it can hold four spools of thread two on either side as to making it easier to change threads without changing a single spool at a time. It makes it much faster and also the design of that makes a much smoother thread wrap with the wire tension.

I hope that is answering you questions................................Joe     

The Fishing Hobby

Yeah, what Joe said sums it nicely. I thought the wheel would give it more support because this carriage is quite a bit heavier than the stock thread shuttle. I didn't know it was going to overhang the workbench  ;D
I guess it may not have been needed after all.

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: akadashoe on September 01, 2018, 03:39:25 AM
Interesting setup.
What's the purpose of the white wheel, and the connector between the 2 spool carriers?
Oh, and the connector between the 2 spool rods...if you mean the orange bar between the tension springs and the spool...serves two purposes. First, it isolates the motion of the spools to keep the wingnuts from turning (which would either increase or decrease the tension on the spool depending on how you are pulling the thread off the spool) so you have a constant tension pressure on the spools. Second, it acts as a friction material on the spool kind of like a drag washer in a reel. The springs give you a more consistent pressure being applied and the bar and another round orange colored washer on the opposite side of the spool act as friction material. The tension pressure on the spool is pretty darn consistent and the thread pulls off the spools very smoothly. It is the same sort of setup I use in the hand wrappers I sell on eBay. Works really well in my opinion. I experimented with magnetic tensioning devices and found this setup to work just as smoothly so I went with it. The magnets are easily broken in magnetic tensioning setups if you aren't careful. No worries like that with this design and it works as smoothly in my opinion.