What is this old nasty grease--Sea Wonder 2091?

Started by festus, May 01, 2018, 11:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Got this Sea Wonder circa 1968 via the big auction site yesterday.  Very clean reel, turning the handle was a little stiff but not as bad as your average neglected 50 year old reel.

Need to find out what type of grease this could be so I know to avoid it in the future.  Reminds me of old dried up calamine lotion that had set in the bottle 10 years without a lid.  ???  It didn't have the strong odor some old greases in the past I've dealt with. 

I don't think this is the original grease and it probably had been serviced at least once in the past.  Looks like whoever worked on it did a very good job of removing the old grease but picked something else that shouldn't be used in spinning reels.  ::)

handi2

Ive opened plenty with that same hard grease. I dont think you will find it anymore. Its a bear to get off.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

mo65

I've got a can of that grease somewhere...looked and can't find it...but I do remember it was a high temp grease. Chances are my can of it is dried up by now too.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Looks like "Skippy" extra chunky, to me.  Probably the organic variety.

🥜🥜🥜👍👍✌️

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rivverrat

Wood putty thinned with a secret amount of Crisco... Thought to be a ground breaking benchmark grease back then.

philaroman

I have some Power Lift all-purpose assembly lube that's pretty close to cashew butter in color & thickness; pretty sure it's petroleum-based & somewhat odoriferous; don't know how it would look & smell, after decades