Found a Couple of Old Shakes Spinners in the Bottom of a Crate

Started by foakes, April 25, 2018, 05:19:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Was looking for a 2052 spool shaft for a member this morning -- went down into an old Shakespeare bin -- and found two nice old reels.

2065 QL Spin Wonder & a 2068 Sport Wonder Model EF.

Tommy knows, and so does Mike, Chester, Daron. and a few other experts on our site -- what solid and quality reels these are.  Possibly some of the highest quality reels made in the US by Shakespeare.

In between building a few Quicks and Mitchells for folks today -- just went ahead and gave these a lacquer thinner soak of all internal parts, polished the gears and drive trains, serviced the bearing, burnished all interior support bushings, greased and oiled since the old original grease was in there from likely the mid 60's still -- hard and set up like beeswax -- to the point the cranks would barely turn.

Now they run like clocks -- these are sure well made and impressive spinners.

While these are both great spinners, and tough as they come with good drag systems — the 2068 is really in a class by itself.  No engineering shortcuts, great gears, oversize main bearing, worm drive, solid gearing, positive A/R, spring loaded ball oil ports, tiny steel casing alignment pins, well balanced and attractive in both looks and function.

This reel was only offered for a couple of years back in the mid 60's. 

Like occasionally happens with a superb product — my theory anyway, is:

This reel was so well thought out and engineered, it just likely cost too much to produce.  In order to compete with the competition — a price point balance with a healthy profit margin needed to happen.  So the "Suits" just stopped production, then in a few more short years of trying to keep up with the Daiwas & Roddy's made in Japan, and others — the game became survival, instead of proven innovation and quality.  This was the beginning of the end for companies like Shakespeare.  They have been basically cheap Tupperware plastic and pot metal reels for the last 45 years, or so.

I am thankful for these great historical spinners, and also grateful for companies that steadily adapt, change, and listen to knowledgeable anglers, like us. 

Not all companies have the resources, vision, and people to accomplish long term positive results.  Penn is one that comes to mind as one of the best, ever.

Just IMO.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

festus

Very powerful looking reels.  I've seen a few of those on the big auction site for less than 10 bucks plus shipping.  Never been able to find a schematic for either of those reels or I may have considered buying one.

mo65

Nice find Fred. Those models don't show up as often as the Royal Maroons.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

Well done, Fred! Cherish that 2068, they're tough to find in decent shape. Interestingly, I've never seen a box for a 2068.

Quote from: festus on April 25, 2018, 06:06:15 AM
Very powerful looking reels.  I've seen a few of those on the big auction site for less than 10 bucks plus shipping.  Never been able to find a schematic for either of those reels or I may have considered buying one.

Here you go, Chester, it doesn't get much better than this. There's a schematic in the manual. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

Thank you Fred.  Never seen or heard of one before.  Did those and the maroon reels overlap in time?  I see dates from 1958 into the mid-1960's for 2068 and mid-1960's into the 1970's for the maroon reels.

Schematic in 4th photo for this listing:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Shakespeare-Spin-Wonder-2065NL-Spinning-Reel-made-in-USA/191878977691?hash=item2cace0d89b:g:iHMAAOSw71BXQhtg

-steve

Long Enuff

festus

Thanks for the links, guys.  Not sure this is the correct schematic in the second reel.  This pic isn't very plain but the diagram looks more like a skirted spool/rotor to me.  Not really clear enough to be sure.

Yep, I've been seeing those 2065 for sale quite a bit lately.  Matter of fact one went unsold on ebay a couple weeks ago, could have gotten it for less than 10 bucks and it was in really good shape.

I lack the 2071 and 2081 having the complete set of Royal Maroons.  Plenty of 2052, 2062, and 2091 at decent prices out there, but the other two have been elusive.

foakes

Quote from: oc1 on April 25, 2018, 07:36:37 PM
Thank you Fred.  Never seen or heard of one before.  Did those and the maroon reels overlap in time?  I see dates from 1958 into the mid-1960's for 2068 and mid-1960's into the 1970's for the maroon reels.

-steve

I think that they did overlap somewhat, Steve.  Tommy would know for sure...

A few other interesting things about the Shakespeares, particularly the 2068 --

The "NL" on the cover-plate denotes a reel that comes with (1) spool, and no line.

A "NL-2" means a reel that came with 2 spools, and no line.

Some of you are familiar with the larger "Sea Wonder" Shakes, such as the large 2080.  I have a few of these in various models, and got curious about any similarities between the little 2068 "Spin Wonder" and the much larger 2080.

This particular little 2068 started production in 1965 -- code EF.

The much larger 2080 started production in 1962 -- code EJ.

These codes do not mean that there were not others in subsequent years, or that these were produced in that year.  If there was no major production change, the code stayed until production ceased.

As I cracked open the 2080, I found that the engineering is nearly identical throughout the two reels.  What this means to me, is that the little 2068 is a scaled down version of the much larger salt water 2080.  Same materials, gears, engineering -- just smaller components to fit the casing.  

So this is a "baby" brother of one of the toughest large salt spinners that Shakespeare produced.

Both have metal spools and a (6) disc drag stack.  

The 2068 weighs in at a little over half of the weight of the 2080 -- 11.6 oz compared to 20.1 oz.

So IMO -- this is a lot of reel in a small package -- tough and overbuilt.

As to pricing, if we took the price of $30 for the 2068 when new -- in today's dollars that would be $237 (according to the calculator on dollartimes.com).  Not cheap in those days -- but built to perform and last.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Chester,

That schematic is for an A/G Cardinal 553.

Steve,

They did somewhat overlap, a couple of years. The grays were being phased out as the maroons were being brought in. It is interesting that they changed the 2065 # to 2064 in '61, manufactured both until '64 & came out with the 2062 in '63. Even more interesting is they produced the 2068 clear up until '67. 

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

swill88

Tommy, do you recall all these wonderful details from memory? I can't remember shinola.

Thanks... it's great history.

steve

happyhooker

Nice pics & good info, Fred--thanks.  Those battleship gray reels look like they're ready to go to war on fish.

Frank

Midway Tommy

Quote from: swill88 on April 26, 2018, 12:44:10 AM
Tommy, do you recall all these wonderful details from memory? I can't remember shinola.

Thanks... it's great history.

steve

I pretty much remember most of the basics, but I've got some research material that I lean on when the specifics evade my sometimes feeble mind. I was taught at a young age not to try to memorize every detail but to focus on remembering where to find the information when needed.  :)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

oc1

Thanks Tommy and sorry Festus.  I didn't realize it was the wrong reel.
-steve