EARLY AVET SX

Started by RUSTY OLD COLT, June 19, 2018, 12:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RUSTY OLD COLT

Recently  picked up a early avet sx with the metal handle , in like new condition at a yard sale . It was spooled with 20 lb mono and the owner said it was never used . I removed all the line and fully disassemble the reeling  and all internals look like the reels never seen water. When I was setting the drag with a spring scale at  7 1/2 lbs strike the lever for the drag feels very stiff when moving it and ever stiffer at full setting  almost like  when the drag knob is over tightened . Is this normal on the early avet sxreels ?

Bryan Young

You have a bad pinion bearing
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Pinion bearing outer races can be cracked if the drag is over tightened and the lever is pushed toward strike.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

8-9 lbs of drag at strike is right about max for those reels so the lever will be hard to move as you push it into strike. At that setting you will be way over the max drag if you move the lever all the way to full.

I set my SX (newer model) with the max drag I use at strike say 6-8 lbs and use that as my full setting. If I want less drag while on a fish I don't push the lever all the way to strike, normal fighting is done at strike and if I have a oh no moment where I need more drag I push the lever past strike. Measure drag if you set up your reel this way. Moving the lever just barely past strike in my reel the drag jumps by 2 lbs of pressure, so just be aware.

RUSTY OLD COLT

Looks like the back of the pinion bearing is blown apart . I remember people posting that these were a weak link but this reel looks like it never seen water . Are these bearing fragile enough to crack just playing with the reel ,like in a shop ? Any benefit in going to a ceramic bearing ? Any of our members sell replacement bearings foe the early SX with metal handle , not sure if its the same size as the newer version with the rubber handle.....thanks to all you guys for the help

MarkT

Yes, you can crush it just by having the drag set too high and turning the handle.  Avet sell replacement bearings for about $5.  Just call and get one from them. 
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SoCalAngler

Quote from: RUSTY OLD COLT on June 19, 2018, 05:52:27 PM
Looks like the back of the pinion bearing is blown apart . I remember people posting that these were a weak link but this reel looks like it never seen water . Are these bearing fragile enough to crack just playing with the reel ,like in a shop ? Any benefit in going to a ceramic bearing ? Any of our members sell replacement bearings foe the early SX with metal handle , not sure if its the same size as the newer version with the rubber handle.....thanks to all you guys for the help

I hate to say it but if you were setting the reel like you said you were or even a little higher at strike and pushing the lever all the way to full, or others were, the max drag recommenced for that reel was exceeded. And, if the reel was left at the full setting for sometime like that it is no surprise the bearing got thrashed.

Replace that bearing and fish the reel within it's specs and you should be fine.

AJ

I have seen this done to brand new reels still in the shop!  People love to tighten the drag and push the lever to Mmax.

I love my early SX Avet, it was what got me started on Avets, BUT I always fish it in spec. and (SO FAR) never had to replace a pinion bearing.

Swami805

Can't the bearing get trashed if your'e setting the the pre-set dial while it's not in free spool? Might be some other part I'm thinking off but I always thought not to move the preset unless it's in free spool.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

RUSTY OLD COLT

Your right,Avet says not to adjust the drag knob unless it is free spool . I kind of remember when I first picked it up at the yard sale and tried to move the drag lever it was super hard to move, and  I put it in free spool and backed it off alot. When you get a chance put a avet in free spooling you can feel the spool move side to side and as you move the drag lever the free play goes away. In the 3 years I have been using Avet reels all I have done was general cleaning and lube and never replaced any bearings . Hopefully the pinion bearing comes from avet this week and I will let you guys know if any thing else got damaged when the drag knob was over tightened .

SoCalAngler

NEVER adjust the preset on any lever drag reel while in gear not just Avet. All drag adjustments should be done before you catch your first fish that's why it is important to measure the drag at different settings of the lever so you know where the drag is at as you move it through the range of the lever.