322F UNABLE TO LOCK DOWN THE DRAG

Started by SNAPS, April 25, 2018, 08:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SNAPS

Friend has 3 ea 322F I have one of them for repair.

When the star is turned all the way down, the drag does not lock down, you can still easily, pull line out, with the star tightened all the way down.

It seems to be missing the washers , that install under the star.

I tried using the  Penn belelvllle washers 1 washer installed is no good, 2 washers I can barely move / turn the star.

This is a photo of one of his "working" reels, notice he has the washers installed, under the star.

opinions ?? recomended fix ???

thanks Guys.

handi2

Hopefully you just need the correct Newell washers. One of our forum members has them available.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

SNAPS

Hi Keith
Thats what I am thinking.
Do you know which member has them , for sale?
I did some research,  and came accross a McMaster Carr number, but not 100 pct sure.
I can buy em and take a shot,  not a lot of $.

handi2

I believe its Lee or Keta. One in the same.

I have some too if needed.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

bluefish69

Bryan might have them also.  Lee - Keta made them for me years ago - thick & thin

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

vilters

Swami805

there's a guy in the newell section on ebay selling alot of small newell parts. Pretty sure he listed those.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Hamachi

What you are describing sounds like the gear sleeve retaining screw or "c" clip may have come loose or is missing. Pull the handle nut off and see if it is still in place. Just a wild guess though.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

sabaman1

Sounds like the drag stack is out of proper placement and possibly your bellville is broken or cracked. Your washer placement above the cam sleeve would not really cause the problem you've described.
JIM

Swami805

Looks like a P series so it should have that "top hat" on top of the top drag washer and 4 drag washers. if you changed to new washers they might be thinner material so the stack is shorter than it was. Could be missing something too in there. If all the drag washers,metal and fiber, are there another washer under the star some where should take up the slack in it. From the picture it looks like the "cupped" washer is uoside down too
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Hamachi

Let's backup for a second. (Beep, beep, beep) are you turning the star in the right direction? Don't laugh, clock-wise looking at it from the handle side. Ask your friend about the history of the reel. Did he "work" on it? Did it always do that, or started when in use? Without a this information, and opening it up, we are all just guessing, or assuming what broke or was left out or changed to cause this problem. The picture is not the reel in question. A picture goes a long way to help fix the problem.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!