newell handle upgrade (updated 5/17/2016)

Started by alantani, February 24, 2009, 06:54:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

Quoteupdate 5/17/2016!!!

here are the two newell arms that i have available.  the large stainless steel arm is $10 and works well for 400, 500 and 600 series reels.  it has a 3/16ths inch hole that will accommodate most aftermarket grips, so you can pretty much use any grip that you want.  the small arm is $8 and works well for the 200, 300 and maybe even the 400 series reels.  and i screwed it up.  the hole for the handle grip is 5/16ths of an inch in diameter, which means that you are stuck with my counter bored 3/0 grip.  here are both arms with the grips that i would normally use. 

here is the 3/16ths inch hole with a spindle that is cut flat. 

here is the 5/16ths inch hole with the spindle that is counter bored.

you see the difference. 

i've adapted the kolekar grip to the newell reel by having a stainless steel arm made.  at the very beginning, i tried adapting the kolekar grip to the stock newell arm, but the length of the spindle varied too much and i gave up.  that's when i decided to have new stainless steel arm made.  it honestly does weigh more than the stock newell arm, but at least it will never break.  

needless to say, i think it's a HUGE improvement over the stock grip.  

the all stainless steel and delron construction offers another significant advantage over the aluminum found in the p-series or tiburon handles.  my handle arms will never corrode.  

the handle arm with the 2/0 kolekar grip is $36 and the arm and 4/0 grip is $40, both with domestic shipping included.  i no longer have the spindes needed to adapt a kolekar grip to a stock graphite newell arm.  and because of the flex of the thin aluminum p-series arms, i do not recommend bolting a kolekar grip to one of these.  

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

QuoteHi.  I would like to order some kolekar handles for my Newells.  Do you also have handles which fit the 600 series Newells? Thanks.  Steven

no problem, steve. the stainless steel arm fits all of the newell reels and has 3 positions. the grips are interchangeable as well. for the smaller newells, most guys use the 2/0, but for any type of heavy drag application, i'd recommend the 4/0 grip. do you know which ones you want? or the reels that they are going on?

QuoteI would like to order (3) 2/0 kolekar newell handles for my 300 series and (3) 4/0 kolekar newell handles for my 5 and 600 series.  I'll take your advice about the 4/0 kolekar with heavy drag because my target with the bigger newells are GT's in the 75-100lb range. Looking forward to finally getting a grip on my newells.  I keep hearing about Cal's grease; it is not common here in Hawaii.  Is Cal's grease better than say Blue grease or Corrosion grease?  I have upgraded my Newell drags with Carbontex with Blue grease after learning it from your site.  I have tried different soft washers in many configurations, even Carbontex but dry,and it seems your way seems to work the best.Greased drags are not common knowledge here among us heavy/big game shorecasters; it is almost a no-no among many. You have taught me something new after a quarter century of cranking reels. Thank you.

you can get cal's grease and carbontex washers from smoothdrag.com. it's great stuff. alan

QuoteAlan, Thanks for sending the handles.  I was hoping to get em just in time for our GT Masters Cup 2009 Tournament which started this past Friday morning.  Mailman delivered Thursday afternoon right before I left the house!  I slapped the 4/0's on my 631's (with the Cal's Carbontex setup)and OH MY GAAAWD!  they felt PERRRFECT!  I was telling myself they were gonna be too big but on your advice I went with em and I gotta say THANK YOU!  In use during the weekend, the cranking power and the comfort blew me away.  These were made for cranking down on the 60-100lb line that we stick to the ocean bottom when we cast for big ulua here in Hawaii.Although I didn't catch fish(Fish seen my handles and got scared!)(250 entrants,7 ulua total,1st place-67lbs), I came home, busted out my Dremel and polished them up! Heavy?  Maybe.  Heavier than a stock Newell?  Yes.  Uncomfortable?  Hell no.  Look I don't wanna waste your mail space.  I'm sending you a check this week cuz they are NOT coming off my Newells(hell I just might JB Weld these beauties to em! [joke;after a few beers might not be])  Either way my wife is gonna give me an earful.  That's when I'll grab that Kolekar and start crankin' with the ratchet on.  Thanks again. 

alantani

Hi Alan, I found your website while looking for power handles for my 338 Newell. I really like the look and design of them, and was curious as to which you would suggest for my reel. I use it on a 11'6" graphite conventional surf rod for heavy duty chunking on Long Island. I was thinking of the 4/0 size, do you think this would be too big for that reel?  Sincerely, Matt

hi, matt!  i would highly recommend the 4/0 grip.  it will seem big at first, but once you get used to it you will never want to go back to anything less.  let me know.  thanks!  alan

Hi Alan, The 4/0 was a little too big/heavy for my needs. I liked the size, but it threw off the balance of the rod/reel combo I'm casting. It's on it's way back to you, USPS. Thank you for your generousity in sending it out, and I may look into the smaller handle in the future.  Matt

sorry it didn't work for you.  if i can help with anything else, please let me know.  thanks!  alan

alantani

I got the handles in today.  I put 1 each on P454-F's and S646-3's.  I plan to put them to the test over the weekend.  Initial impressions are that the 4/0's are definitely much more comfortable (for guys with long fingers like me) but the 2/0's balance the reels better for shorecasting applications.  I'll keep these but I'm kinda leaning towards more of the 2/0 grips since they still feel way better than stock; but we'll see how I feel after some real-world usage.  One thing I immediately noticed was how the grips are always oriented vertically in the perfect position to grab.  No more fumbling trying to grip the handle.  I hope you have more in stock because I plan to buy 4 more once my tax returns are in. 

e-file with turbo tax!

night8hawk

Hi Alan,
I have the Newell 332 and 220 i would like to order the power Handle for my reels, can you send me the information please.
Thanks David

alantani

i have a new smaller handle arm.  send a pm with your address and i will ship one out for you to look at.  alan

Rickman

Hi Alan,
The pin the knob rotates on, on my 220, just decided it was done this morning. (Great fun bringing in a skipjack with no nob!) Anyway, not the best timing since my wife is coming home (to Baja) next Thursday from Maui. Trying to find a neighbor coming down soon! Do you still have Newell handles? 2/0.....
Thanks,
Rick

alantani

yes, send a pm with your address and i will ship out out.

Dominick

I'm going to Los Cabos on the 31st if you need a courier.  Might go a few days earlier if other stuff falls in place.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Rickman

Dominic,
Thanks for the offer. I might take you up on it if no one is coming down sooner. Where are you headed for?
Rick

Dominick

Rick: a PM was sent.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

tomsatx

Alan,

I would like to purchase 2 handles for my Newells. In the photos, there is a longerarm and a shorter arm. Is this for 200 and 300 and up series? Also, I would like a handle and arm combo for a sealine x and was interested in the charter special arm. Are there any other arms that you sell with 2/0 handle that will fit the sealine?

Thanks,

Thomas

alantani

i have stainless steel arms for the shimano and only the short arm for the newell.  i do not have a stainless steel arm for the daiwa.  you have to drill out the old grip and bolt on a new one. send me a pm and we can figure out exactly what you want and i will get it shipped out to you.  i'm still trying to sort out the shipping.  everything got all mixed up while i was gone.  my fault.......

tomsatx

Quote from: alantani on June 26, 2011, 06:48:29 AM
i have stainless steel arms for the shimano and only the short arm for the newell.  i do not have a stainless steel arm for the daiwa.  you have to drill out the old grip and bolt on a new one. send me a pm and we can figure out exactly what you want and i will get it shipped out to you.  i'm still trying to sort out the shipping.  everything got all mixed up while i was gone.  my fault.......

PM sent. I decided to go with the two short arms for the Newells with the smaller grips. Thanks.

Panama

Alan,
I fished my Newells the other day and realized how difficult the handles are coming up from 300ft.  I could use a handle for a 338.  Any suggestions on size?  Also are the arms only available unfinished....any black?
Get on the water, Man!!!