Degreasing

Started by Scattergun2570, April 29, 2018, 06:21:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scattergun2570

I have been using mineral spirits to degrease my gears...question is,,do mineral spirits leave behind a film or"residue"that I need to get off with something else? I am asking because I notice that sometimes it seems as if the marine grease I use doesn't stay very well after a bunch of turns of the handle..it looks like almost no grease is there,just very wet looking. Thoughts?

handi2

I wash the parts off with hot water. Sometimes ill add some Dawn soap.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Scattergun2570 on April 29, 2018, 06:21:47 AM
I have been using mineral spirits to degrease my gears...question is,,do mineral spirits leave behind a film or"residue"that I need to get off with something else? I am asking because I notice that sometimes it seems as if the marine grease I use doesn't stay very well after a bunch of turns of the handle..it looks like almost no grease is there,just very wet looking. Thoughts?

That's why I'm not fond of mineral spirits as a degreaser. The only times I ever use mineral spirits is on painted or plastic parts, & that is seldom, at best.     
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Tiddlerbasher

Washing-up liquid (whatever kind the wife buys :-\) or IPA (not the best grease solvent maybe but dosen't leave a residue :) The us bath is also used.

handi2

On spinning reels once you put it together and then take it apart all the grease will be in the center of the gear. It will look like none is on the teeth but there is enough.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Scattergun2570

Quote from: handi2 on April 29, 2018, 07:18:42 PM
On spinning reels once you put it together and then take it apart all the grease will be in the center of the gear. It will look like none is on the teeth but there is enough.

It's a conventional...but I think I will start using Dawn

Swami805

Reading thru this I have some gear sleeves I need to get degreased with no kind of residue. I have acetone, IPA and aerisol carburator cleaner handy. Which one of those will leave the least residue or do I need something else? I don't have access to a US cleaner.  Thanks
Do what you can with that you have where you are

philaroman

pure acetone -- no residue
nail polish remover -- who knows what additives?

thorhammer

Sheridan try the carb cleaner to get clean as possible, then acetone, which is considered the "universal solvent" by chemists and shouldn't leave a residue. IPA isn't going to cut much grease.

Swami805

Thanks, the parts I'm starting with are pretty clean so i'll try acetone, Batch 2 are pretty grungey so I'll double dip!

thorhammer

Quote from: philaroman on March 29, 2019, 12:46:05 AM
pure acetone -- no residue
nail polish remover -- who knows what additives?

As it happens, I do...nail polish remover typically will only have color (non-issue) and fragrance (essential oils are great solvents unto themselves) as significant adds, (rest is Marketing pixie dust, like a little aloe), besides water....so straight acetone is less polar and thus a better grease cutter. that said NPR takes off lacquer, which is a bit more pervasive than grease / oil. Acetone is cheaper and wont get you in trouble with wife. Most acetone, at least in the US is derived from benzene, a great solvent but not one you want to play much with. Acetone here typically is below 25ppm benzene.

John

John

Reel 224

I'll throw my tow cents in the mix. I found that simple green and rescue rust in 2 to 1 works in my UC very well. I have yet to find grease that it doesn't remove. the Ultra Sonic cleaner is the key.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Frank

Quote from: Reel 224 on March 29, 2019, 01:30:12 PM
I'll throw my tow cents in the mix. I found that simple green and rescue rust in 2 to 1 works in my UC very well. I have yet to find grease that it doesn't remove. the Ultra Sonic cleaner is the key.

Joe

Joe,

Is this the stuff you are referring to:

https://www.armorvci.com/resources/armor-media/metal-rescue-rust-remover/

Thanks,

Frank
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Swami805

Thanks for the replies, I sprayed them with carb cleaner in a small jar and used the poormans US cleaner (I swirled them around in the jar for awhile). Dropped them in a jar of acetone last night and there they sit. I'll hit them with a toothbrush and acetone later, then dawn and water rinse. That oughta get it. Thanks again

Reel 224

Quote from: Frank on March 29, 2019, 04:50:06 PM
Quote from: Reel 224 on March 29, 2019, 01:30:12 PM

Joe

Joe,

Is this the stuff you are referring to:

https://www.armorvci.com/resources/armor-media/metal-rescue-rust-remover/

Thanks,

Frank

Sorry Frank, It is called Evopo-rust and it's sold In Walmart, https://www.theruststore.com/Evapo-Rust-Gallon-P1C1.aspx And Amazon
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."