Degreasing

Started by Scattergun2570, April 29, 2018, 06:21:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockfisher

I use acetone, carb cleaner, or lighter fluid for degreasing metal parts. Hot water and dawn soap with a toothbrush for plastic parts or if there is a sticker.
The worst day fishing is better than the best day at work

Pierce

Not sure if paint thinner will work or not, worry it might damage some plastic or rubber parts?

I used Sunlight dish-washing liquid to brush away the grease, then spray some WD40 degreaser to wash off the stubborn grease/oil.  Let dry under the sun for 20-30 minutes, then apply new grease/oil.  Work fine, so far lol........

Recoil Rob

Been using my UC w/Simple Green and non-sudsing ammonia for years now with gun parts and finally tried it last night on the internals of a Penn 9/0, works well.
My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
   - Errol Flynn

double_entendre

I've used brake cleaner with marginal luck.  I wonder if parts cleaner with a little basket like you could buy at an auto parts store would work. 

I echo the comments about acetone. It's nasty stuff, but works great.  Wear gloves and be in a well ventilated area. 

kmstorm64

I use a combo of either dawn and or simple green, unless it is really super crudy, than I may brake out some acetone if really needed, but I use that sparingly and with gloves on.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

TheReelShop

I use CRC 6-56 marine lubricant. It will take out just about ANYTHING!!!. I dip the parts in a container with it and brush off the grease or I apply the CRC to the part and brush it off. It loosens it completely even some hard old grease.

oc1

Oh, oh... a new trick.  Disassemble and put the parts into a zip-lock bag.  Add some naphtha or your favorite solvent.  You won't need much; few ounces should be plenty.  Squeeze out as much air as possible and zip the bag closed.  Shake and swish stuff around to coat all surfaces with solvent.  Shake and swish again every few minutes or float the bag in a sonic cleaner.  As you shake and swish grease and crud will dissolve or fall off.  When done with it, unzip a corner and drain out the solvent and sludge. Add a splash (maybe an ounce) of new solvent to rinse off the residue, shake and splash then drain that too.  Blow dry or wipe the parts as they come back out of the bag for reassembly.  

Many solvent are expensive, stink the place up, should not be handled, and create a disposal problem.  The zip lock bag lets you give everything a good soak with a minimal amount of solvent.

-steve

Crow

Good tip, Steve !!  My wife is "giving me heck" right  now about the "smell" in the garage !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Reelmeneer

RowdyW

It's not available in the U S. Most bathroom cleaners are similar.       Rudy

sharkman

For really greasy dirty metal parts carb cleaner or brake cleaner. For lightly greasy metal parts or generally dirty non metal parts I use dollar store version or CLR.

Crow

I have pretty good luck with either "Simple Green", or ZEP(can't remember the product number ???), although, if the grease is very dry, I sometimes give it a "soak" in mineral spirits, first. I don't have an Ultrasonic cleaner, but a brush, some time, and some "elbow grease" will get stuff clean.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

HalBrown

CRC Electronic Cleaner is also excellent.  It cuts grease really fast, evaporates fast and leaves no residue.  I clean my spool bearings with it with them laying in a tiny food strainer.  Outdoors although here is no order to the stuff, just so it can drip on the ground.  Great to keep on the boat also.

Bohdisattva

This is my go to degreaser: Perfect Solution

(kinda old video, but you get the idea)

Website: https://rotundacleaning.com/rotunda_store/perfect-solution/

Hope this helps  ;D

George6308

I use Penn's reel cleaner.  Works for me very well.