Spheros

Started by Scattergun2570, May 01, 2018, 02:36:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scattergun2570

I have a brand new one here for this season. I am curious to know if there is anything I need to watch out for being it has a gasket to seal out water..meaning when I open to service it at seasons end. Is anything done differently because of the rubber seal?

Scattergun2570

Jeri

Nothing unusual to be concerned about. Just don't believe that it is 'waterproof'!!!!

Have opened up a number of Spheros and Saragossa reels and found water in the 'gearbox'. Admittedly they have been used in our rather extreme surf fishing conditions, but the seals are not that good.

Apart from that nothing to worry about.

Hope that helps.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Scattergun2570

Quote from: Jeri on May 05, 2018, 07:13:58 AM
Nothing unusual to be concerned about. Just don't believe that it is 'waterproof'!!!!

Have opened up a number of Spheros and Saragossa reels and found water in the 'gearbox'. Admittedly they have been used in our rather extreme surf fishing conditions, but the seals are not that good.

Hope that helps.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Do you grease the seal when you reassemble?

handi2

It must be a new model. Ive never seen a Spheros with a body seal. You can change the non handle side bushing to a bearing. They are great reels right out of the box. Super drag and smooth reel.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Jeri

Quote from: Scattergun2570 on May 05, 2018, 10:54:49 PM
Quote from: Jeri on May 05, 2018, 07:13:58 AM

Hope that helps.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Do you grease the seal when you reassemble?

Just a light coating helps keep it in place in the groove while re-assembling. Water ingress is usually through the drive shaft and bearings.