Jerky 2062 drag

Started by smnaguwa, May 01, 2018, 12:07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smnaguwa

I have an old 2062 that I use for river striper fishing. I changed the drag to CF that I got from Dawn. The drag is very smooth when the spool is retracted(in the rotor cup) but very jerky when spool is fully extended. Why and what to do. Thanks.

happyhooker

Odd--you'd think bent oscillation shaft, but I can hardly believe that would be it.

Let's see what some others think.

Frank

Midway Tommy

Did you grease the CFs? I can hardly believe that a 1" extension could make it go from smooth to jerky. I'd double check the stack order, make sure the under spool washer is in good condition and check to make sure the spool is all the way down against the click gear & washer. The metal washer with the two flat sided hole goes out against the drag knob and the spool has to go in far enough that the flat sided bushing barely goes through the outside of that metal washer.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

festus

I just finishing servicing a 2091 Sea Wonder I received yesterday, do I have the washers in order?

These are leather, seem to be ok, they don't need greased do they? I like to keep most everything stock unless there is a problem.

handi2

The order is right on..
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

mo65

Quote from: festus on May 01, 2018, 11:00:20 PM
These are leather, seem to be ok, they don't need greased do they? I like to keep most everything stock unless there is a problem.

The guys around here that use leather drags recommend oil rather than grease. I have been just smearing a little oil on the metals when assembling leather drags and it seems to work very well. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

smnaguwa

Thanks for all the replies. I greased the CF with Cal's and wiped the excess off. The drag order is like the illustration except mine doesn't have the far left part. The line is evenly distributed on the spool. Will keep rechecking. Thanks.