Curado CU-200 Screech

Started by AcousticTennis, January 31, 2018, 06:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AcousticTennis

I was handed a reel to clean up a while back. Usual clean and tuning. I put it all back and it casted great the first 5 or 6 times. Then a loud screech showed up. I've messed with this reel over and over, but cant get it to stop screeching. Here is the breakdown of what I've done...

I've tried 3 sets of new bearings, So not the bearings.

I've removed the brake drum, So not the brake drum.

Polished spool shaft, pinion gear, brass race the brake drum spins in.

I've thrown it without a brake drum attached and the spool bearings removed to narrow down causes. It lasts 4 or 5 casts and then the screech happens killing my cast. There is usually some signs of friction between the spool shaft and pinion gear but I'm not sure if its the cause or a effect of the real issue. Has anyone had this happen to them? Any solutions or ideas? Is there a alternate replacement spool/pinion gear incase I need to go that route.

EDIT: I've switch the spools and the problem persists. Has to be the side plate being janky or the pinion gear I think.

alantani

the obvious is that it has to be one surface moving fast against another. 

bearings are the first suspects - they were replaced, and the replacement bearings were lubed, so that's out.

brakes - all the brakes were off, right?   if not, i would push them all "in" to disable them. 

the spool - switched out, but could still be a factor.

the frame - torquing these frames is a near impossibility.  still, i would take a sharpie marker and paint the frame and the spool both, right where they might come in contact.  then, when the screeching starts up again, see if any of the sharpie is rubbed off. 

the spool shaft - if it's not perfectly centered, then the spool could rub.  the bearings are what center the spool shaft and the spool.  the spool shaft could be bent, but we are talking about two spools. 

weird....  keep after it.  please let us know how you progress.  thanks!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

AcousticTennis

Correct. Not only were the brakes off but I removed the entire brake drum off the spool to ensure it wasn't part of the problem.

I ended up buying a used curado in great shape. Swapped out the main gear and pinion gear with the problem reel. The noise transferred over from the clients reel to the one I purchased.  Going to look for a new pinion gear. The only other thing I can think of that would be the problem.

alantani

i have a reamer for jigmaster pinion gears.  it sounds like it is time to get a metric reamer for these pinion gears as well. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

RatzReelz

A little late on this but a worn pinion yoke is the number one cause of the "screech" on these reels.

AcousticTennis

If you're squeemish then stop reading.

So I changed out literally every part. Spool, brake drum, bearings, Pinion yoke, ect...The screech never left. I took some light light light sand paper and put it to the spool shaft no more screech so far. Completely smoothed out. I don't know what the issue was. Maybe something warped and was just keeping it that much misaligned.