Abu Garcia kalex 50( rebuild help)

Started by Eddie Hernandez, May 03, 2018, 02:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Hernandez

Hi All-performed a complete disassembly of the reel and decided to work on it last night (bad idea), things never go well at night for me, I could not complete the rebuild i was unable to install one of the side plates (non reel side). I have attached a photo of the side plate that does not seem to be going into place? Any help would be greatly appreciated thx...........eddie

festus

Wish I could help, Eddie, all I can do is offer a link to a Kalex schematic if you haven't seen it already.  If it was a Swedish Abu 4600, 5000 series or 6000 series I could probably help.  Not too much familiar on the schematic.  I see it has six brake blocks, which is good.  The head plate looks entirely different than on any Abu I've ever seen.  Yoke is unfamiliar, the spool and ball bearing setup is different.  You'll eventually figure it out, hopefully someone on here knows about them.

http://www.reelschematic.com/wp-content/uploads/schematics/Abu%20Garcia/kalex/AMBASSADEUR%20KALEX%2050%2019%2000.pdf

Eddie Hernandez

Thx Festus I printed it out going to try and work on it tonight

Eddie Hernandez

Quote from: Eddie Hernandez on May 04, 2018, 12:25:25 AM
Thx Festus I printed it out going to try and work on it tonight

Finally got this reel done !!! Not even sure how what I did to.get it to work ? I took it apart and started all over and played around with the spool which to me was the problem it just wasn't sitting right in the reel. What a pain this little.reel was!! Just when I thought i was getting good at this reel repair stuff,very humbling.

Marktrahan

It's a shame quality of those reels not even close to the Swedish abus.

exp2000

Quote from: Marktrahan on May 05, 2018, 10:54:45 PM
It's a shame quality of those reels not even close to the Swedish abus.

Also the design is very poor.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/KimberleyRodandReel/permalink/1458345740913167/
~