fly reel Sportcraft No 60

Started by steelfish, May 03, 2018, 08:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

Quote from: jurelometer on November 12, 2020, 01:37:14 AM
  But a heavy hook on a five weight is still not going to be fun, especially if you are just starting out.  That is why I recommended  a size 4.

got it.

I have found 2/0 for triggers is only good for those big white triggersfish, they can open their mouth that big, but a 1/0 hook you will have more opportunity as well as with size 1 hooks.
The Baja Guy

Tiddlerbasher

If you look carefully at the clicker and spring - it has 3 'ears'. The lengths of the ears vary. If you rotate it on its brass pin it will vary the resistance (drag) that is applied to the spool. Nearly all fly reels were once like this, even salmon reels. I still use a click drag Battenkill on one of my 4 wt outfits, even a 1lb trout puts up a decent fight on that rod. As Dave said any extra 'drag' was applied by palming the spool, you wont need it for small trout but trigger fish are something else. The sound of a screaming click drag reel is still music to my ears ;D

steelfish

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on November 12, 2020, 12:22:10 PM
If you look carefully at the clicker and spring - it has 3 'ears'. The lengths of the ears vary. If you rotate it on its brass pin it will vary the resistance (drag) that is appied to the spool.

hey thanks for that, sounds like a clever design, I will try which of the 3 corners have the most resistance on the spool, nothing that can stop a triggerfish but at least will sound higher, as you said, when you hear the clicker to scream all your senses get al electric pulse and the fun starts.

The Baja Guy