Braided Dacron or braided Nylon?

Started by JNG3, May 04, 2018, 11:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JNG3

I have a few old level winds that I have cleaned up and want to put to use. Old Shakespeare True Blues, model 1929's and some small Ocean City's. Which is more appropriate, braided Dacron or braided Nylon lines? Or does it really matter? Will likely be buying Mason Tackle line if that matters. I'll be doing some casting, but 70% of the time I will be trolling spoons and small crankbaits. Thanks.

Keta

Nylon was invented in '35, Dacron in '41, fishing line came several years later.  If you want the line to match with the reels age you will have to go with linen or silk.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

oc1

Dacron is best for trolling, but the line can never touch the bottom or obstructions because it will fray easily.  Nylon is more rugged but it stretches a lot and has less sensitivity.
-steve

Brewcrafter

Dacron is wickedly tough stuff.  Next to no stretch.  And with minimal skill and some braid needles/hooks you can make some super smooth "Chinese Finger Trap" splices that are incredible.  But I will say I may be biased, as a lad I was slicing my hands up with Izorline Green Spot and I still like it to this day for my "vintage bottomfishing" reels.

oc1

Dacron is a pleasure to fish with compared to braided nylon or mono.
-steve

day0ne

David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Brewcrafter

$pectra is great $tuff, and has it's place.  If you are looking at a small frame reel and want to pack on maximum yardage and strength, and are looking at pursuing fish that can run and really peel off the yardage, it's a go to.  On my modern stuff, with mega drags fishing tuna and pelagics, I use it.  But based on the original post from JNG3 it looks like he is planning on mostly trolling spoons and cranks, so not sure that the extra expen$e of $pectra is warranted.  Also, there is far more experience on the forum with guys working on reels, and maybe somebody can chime in on the hazards of packing Spectra on older reels that even in great condition, have spools/frames/bearings that may not be up to the task.

Tiddlerbasher

If you go with dacron make sure it is hollow braided dacron for knotless splices- like the Rio product. Not all dacron is spliceable. Similarly with spectra - the hollow product is a lot more expensive but it does last and it's a fraction of the diameter of mono or dacron. Only the spectra requires heavy drag (8-10lbs) when spooling, which may be a problem on old reels. Mono can also 'pop' a spool if wound on too tight - finger pressure is enough for mono.